Use your iPhone or Android device as a webcam for Zoom on your PC or Mac

Use your iPhone or Android device as a webcam for Zoom on your PC or Mac

Passing this along since many of us are now living on Zoom for both work and music lessons/sessions.

My ancient Logitech USB web cam is pretty lousy as far as video quality and low light sensitivity for use with Zoom on my Windows PC.

Rather than buy a new webcam, I found an app called “EpocCam” that turns your iPhone into a high-resolution webcam for Zoom running on your Windows or Mac computer. You install a driver on the computer that connects to the phone via WiFi or USB and it shows up as an available video capture device in Zoom!

I’m using it with the front facing camera on my old iPhone 6. There is also an Android version available.

While I know you can run Zoom directly from a mobile device, I prefer to run my larger Zoom music sessions and lessons on my desktop as that’s where I have my higher quality audio setup and it’s easier to manage the meetings with a mouse on a large monitor.

http://www.kinoni.com/

Re: Use your iPhone or Android device as a webcam for Zoom on your PC or Mac

There is a free version you can use to test the setup, but it has limited functionality. I upgraded to the full version ($7.99) to get the full feature set.

Thanks Michael - this is GOLD

Actually, maybe not. The Android one doesn’t look so good, but I see there are alternatives. I was just wondering about this today. I logged into a Zoom session twice - once for a big screen and a second login to get the camera from my phone.

Just tried epocCam on Android but it only seems to work over wifi - I get too many dropouts (probably because the wifi router is at the other end of the house).

I have just managed to get DroidCam working over USB though. It’s the same idea - install the DroidCam app on your phone and the DroidCam client software/drivers on your PC, connect the phone to PC (either with wifi or over USB cable) and the phone will still behaving like an external webcam device available to any video conferencing or recording software on your PC. Hurrah!

I’ve been using the iOS version of EpocCam over USB, works well. Sometimes I have to get it first connected via WiFi and then switch to USB to stream smoothly, after that it’s been pretty robust using it with Zoom.

I got Iriun to work on my Android with Zoom and found it worked well with my Mac. I tried EpoCam but found it annoying that it seemed to lose the signal if you changed to another camera.
Yes so dig out all those old smart phones!