Keeping Sessions going in these Covid times…

Keeping Sessions going in these Covid times…

Our usual weekly session - in Ballydehob, West Cork, Ireland - has had to stop because all pubs are now closed. Our response to this is a new blog where anyone can join in and send us tunes, stories, chats etc. Hopefully this will get us learning lots of new tunes so that when ‘normality’ returns, we will meet again with a refreshed repertoire! Here’s a link to our project:

https://swantonstownsessions.com/

Re: Keeping Sessions going in these Covid times…

Hi Robert that is one sweet web site. Love the angle you have taken there.

Good idea. Our local sessions have a couple FaceBook groups so we can communicate and we are doing Sunday afternoons sessions on Zoom (we may switch to another app).

How about playing outside, each player sitting at least 6 feet from any other, unless from the same household, and all wearing masks? With the 6-foot rule, this would mean a small number of players - otherwise, we wouldn’t be able to hear each other.

As a retired epidemiologist, my opinion would be that the risk from this kind of session would be similar to that resulting from what is recommended here in Michigan for hiking and biking on trails, which are accepted activities.

Thoughts?

Posted by .

Okay, the ‘all wearing masks’ suggestion was dumb regarding flute, whistle and harmonica players - sorry about that. You will just have to do virtual sessions 🙁

Posted by .

"this would mean a small number of players". In Australia any outdoor gathering of more than two people (unless family) is illegal.

Posted by .

Gobby- If you keep it to two people, you could say you are exercising your fingers ;)

No Michelle, I can count to five on my fingers before I start y to get confused.

Posted by .

Every week a small (3-4 of us) group continue to meet at one players home. We have discussed this and agreed to be mindfully aware of the signs of this disease and stay away at he first hint of exposure/infection. We’re not stupid. All of us are in at least one high risk population. Two of us have had years (decades) of work treating patients with infectious diseases. We all agree that the fear that has spread has done more damage to all of our lives, yours and mine, has been more harmful than the disease itself. So the best thing to do is pay attention. Wash your hands and shower often. Watch what you touch on yourself and the things around you. Remember that homemade equipment may be slightly helpful (at best) and is often a vector for disease. Remember that the reason PPE’s work so well in the hospital in normal times, is that it’s changed and discarded after every single patient contact/procedure.

The part that saddens me most is that people are dying, no mistake. Some are dying because of covid, more with covid, and others because of circumstances that go untreated from the fear of ,but without, covid. In all of that they are dying ALONE. If that doesn’t break your heart I am truly sorry for you. I’ve been away from healthcare for a decade now. In my time I saw many patients die, mostly children. The ones who haunt me, in ways I lack the vocabulary to speak of, are the ones who died alone, without a single familiar face in the room. That’s what fear has done to us. I’ll say no more about it.

So tonight I and a couple of friends will gather and play a few tunes, tell some lies, have a beer or two, and enjoy our humanity…together.

There’s been a number of threads on virtual sessions here on the session with various pieces of software being used. I don’t personally use FaceBook (no trust), Zoom apparently gets hacked a lot and has been banned for school children in several states here in the USA so I would eschew going down that path as well. I’m wondering why there’s been no mention of Skype on thesession more recent than two years ago. Skype supports group video so it would seem to me that players in a small network domain where latency would be less of an issue might find Skype a viable solution. Has anyone tried it for our current semi-quarantined times?

I just had my first Skype lesson this week and I’m impressed with it. The latency between Arizona and Ireland is considerable so playing in tandem with the instructor wasn’t possible but overall, the experience was a good one.

Three of us played and celebrated a birthday last last night, including one who respectfully stayed away for 3 weeks while she felt sick (tested negative). Good to have her back. It’s the way we get through it together…together.