Lockdown Play-Alongs

Lockdown Play-Alongs

Hope you are all keeping safe and also in good spirits in this time of uncertainty.

What videos have you found, or unearthed, to play along with in the Lockdown? It would be nice to read your recommendations, and any other comments, and maybe have a go at them myself. Thank you.

Peace & good health to you.

Re: Lockdown Play-Alongs

This is one that always cheers me up. The Swallow Tail Jig, by Peak Fiddler. I love all his videos, and especially I like the way at the end he always says ‘Thanks for watching’.

Thank *you* for playing, Peak Fiddler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mMXGCTktuI

Yes I cannot recommend the Mary O’s session too strongly! It is just brilliant. Tonight I listened to/watched Caitlin and Chris’s virtual concert and realized that they are not just great session hosts, which they are, but also top class musicians. A treat.
Here in Europe the live webcasts go out too late for us but they are easy to access on youtube even for non-savvies like me….
Take care, all, and keep those tunes flowing

Fiddle Aunt: I also enjoy PeakFidddler’s videos. I have used them & Kevin Burke et al’s fiddle lessons to learn tunes on the whistle. I love the swallowtail jig as well; learned it as a set of swallowtail, trip to sligo & gallagher’s frolics from a couple of great sessions in WI. Just had a bit fun by playing ‘gallagher’s frolics’ along with PeakFidddler’s ‘swallowtail’- it is pretty neat! You might have some fun looking for other tunes that mesh well enough to be played together- I would be willing to bet that there are quite a few…

Thanks, Julie, for your suggestions as to what could be played with the Swallowtail Jig. Much appreciated. xx

Thanks for everyone’s posts so far. I look forward to sampling the links.

Another set of videos that are really useful to me and that I enjoy listening to as well as playing is Dulahan Ireland. On my present play-along list is their Monaghan Jig.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cy1jWlXtU0

An interesting experience I’ve had in revisiting tunes that were on my repertoire a few years ago is how much better I can play them now. It isn’t that my general standard has improved, but that the tunes seem to have sunk into my brain now.

Hi, Fiddle Aunt- I’m not sure that I made my intention clear- instead of playing them sequentially (which is nice & what I did originally) try playing Gallagher’s Frolics simultaneously with PeakFiddler’s swallowtail- it really rocks! It also forces focus on what one is doing. I think it might be a useful teaching technique. I don’t know if it has been done before, but I think it really has potential. Then again, maybe it is just the derangement induced by confinement. Hard to tell sometimes.

Ah - sorry. Never thought of that!

Thanks Fiddle Aunt, for writing so kindly about us! We are delighted that our videos have been a help to you. Good wishes with your music from Joe and Adele.

Oh what a super post - thanks for all you do, Joe and Adele. xxx

@GW, are there any clips of him playing his famous Vulcan arse flute?

Yes, but there probably in the ‘restricted viewing’ section.

Posted by .

Tut, tut. ‘They’re’ not ‘there’!

Posted by .

Yeah, Yhaalhouse has been killing it! I hope to make it to The Wig Museum one of these days for my complimentary pint.

These clips above are all pre-scary virus times! I have been doing a song-a-day on ‘FaceAche’ though, since 25.3.2020. Not much Trad Irish (!) but a lot with VAF accompaniment! It’s the terminally battered one with stickers and t’ing! Thank you for the attention!