Documentary: Home from Home - Irish Music in Leeds

Documentary: Home from Home - Irish Music in Leeds

Hi everyone,

I’m an Uilleann piper from Northern Ireland currently studying Film and Television Production in Bradford, West Yorkshire. I recently made a short documentary exploring the Irish music scene in Bradford and Leeds. Linked below for anyone interested!

https://youtu.be/66FHTw-yu9I

Re: Documentary: Home from Home - Irish Music in Leeds

Very Interesting The Leeds sessions were a legend back in the day

Well done Conor! I watched it and enjoyed it!

Nice documentary. Enjoyed it.

Good job, great tunes in Leeds 🙂

Great video Conor. I remember that the Irish Trad. Music scene was literally buzzing in Leeds during the 1970’s and 1980’s. The hub being an area known as Sheepscar. Sessions were an integral part of pub life in venues such as The Roscoe, The Regent, The Pointers, The Harp, to name a few. Flute player Gordon Tyrrall learned his chops in The Regent in the 1970’s, whilst playing alongside Pat Mc Nichols from Mayo. This tremendous musical activity was going on on my doorstep at the time, and I remember with much regret that a friend of mine, Michael Furlong used to try and drag me along to such events on a regular basis, but I was not interested at that stage, my musical taste lying elsewhere at the time. Mea Culpa !

A fine documentary! Great to see Padraig McGovern and Becky Taylor there too.

I watched this with great interest as I was at Uni in Leeds from 1974 - 1977 and actually had my first fiddle lessons from John Gillard senior in the Irish Centre on the York Road! There was music in Bradford, though not as much as in Leeds - I used to go to the Cock & Bottle pub, regulars were Jim Gilchrist, tin whistle from Belfast and another tin whistle player called Alf. Later, John Gillard snr and jnr and myself used to go on Sunday nights to the Barkerend pub (a bit rough and ready) to meet (Paddy) Joe Clancy, a great fiddle player from Dromandoora (on the border of East Clare and Galway). But, certainly, Leeds was a hive of music. It was lovely to see Desi Hurley in the video - he was young boy when I was in Leeds, though I met him again a couple of year’s ago when he invited me to the Gathering. The Hurleys and Gillards were two of the great Irish music families in Leeds. Just a smattering of my Leeds’ memories - if you want any more Conor, you’re welcome to contact me!