Guess the instrument

Re: Guess the instrument

My first guess is melodica. Sounds like the one I gave my wife for Christmas a while back and got played once,

Haha wow that was quite fast
You’re right, it is indeed a melodica (or melodian, whichever you prefer)

My guess as well. I have no real problem with the sound of them, there’s something cheap seeming about them though. I don’t know why I feel that way.

Melodicas are great! Play them with the short mouthpiece vertically or BluTack them down and play keyboards style with the slinky tube thing horizontally. I see them often being used for Morris danceouts and have done so myself. They have a good loud, strident tone, esp for outside! One can get excellent articulation due to the two methods available (hands on keyboard/ blowing and tonguing). And check out the master: Augustus Pablo https://youtu.be/MiaekG1Q0UE

I used to have one of those! My sister bought it at a boot sale for next to nothing.

There was a cheesy Christian Praise Band that used to play on the television, a fellow in that band played one.

I can see one for travelling, very compact (I took mine backpacking) but an accordion can do so much more.

Got one too! Not used it much, but it came in useful for a tune in Bb: my keyboarding is faster in that key than on my button accordion (melodeon - NOT the same as a melodica btw!)

a few years back our youngest son entertained us on a long drive home from Portsmouth with a cd of dub reggae, many tracks of which featured the melodica [Augustus Pablo above might well have been included] and at the end of the journey I had got to quite like it. More portable and cheaper than a piano accordion anyway.

I’m pretty sure that Karen Tweed won an All-Ireland Senior title in the Miscellaneous Instruments section one year playing a melodica?????

She won it in 1977 at the age of 14 - says so in Wikipedia so it must be true!

I think she did it more than once, in different age groups. Wikipedia may have it right on this occasion.

Posted by .

Sounds like a Cat Melodeon only not as nice.

Wow I didn’t expect so many to recognize it! Haha and those who said that mine sounded a bit cheap were very right. it is a cheaper model unfortunately, but it does its job. I enjoy it as an alternative to the piano, since the group I play with has two pianists (me and one other), and no fiddler. And someday i do plan on getting an accordian, but for now I’m unfortunately broke.

You all beat me to it!

It sounds more like the green one or the red one (which my father had), rather than the Piano version (I have a Piano 36)

In the Caribbean Islands, Melodicas are called Hooters. The 80’s rock band "The Hooters" used the name and the instrument for several of their hits. Their music was a blend of different influences including Irish, Reggae, Zydeco and others.

I’ve been playing my melodica a lot the last few days- it seems a little quieter than my flutes, and here in lockdown with everyone home, I feel like being low key. So I noodle softly away on it with great pleasure.
Originally I got it because I was travelling in Tunisia and lost my tin whistle. (My favourite one, of course). Nothing similar was to be found anywhere I looked so when I spotted the melodica in Tunis- bought it immediately.
( I already had great respect for them, because of an accordion playing friend who had been in an accident, and with smashed ribs could not play his usual instrument. He got a melodica and was soon a virtuoso on it,) I’ll never be anything but a noodler, but it’s fun. And can be kept quiet.

I stand corrected. Melodica played well actually sounds great.