A Guide to Online Sessions Using JamKazam

A Guide to Online Sessions Using JamKazam

For those of you interested in learning about and considering using JamKazam for real time online sessions, here’s a link to a comprehensive setup guide on which I’ve been one of the (minor) collaborators:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yOGhHu429jCcWu66yvTjhBn-UdTUgmf8dYv82Z6irQI/edit?usp=sharing

Kudos and thanks to those who did the majority of the work on the guide:

Dirk Mewes
Kevin Kriner
Tony Becker

This is meant to be a living document and will be updated over time!

Re: A Guide to Online Sessions Using JamKazam

There was a new release today of the JamKazam client for both Windows and Mac:

https://www.jamkazam.com/downloads

April 26th, 2020
Windows & Mac Client Updated

Video Fixes & Stability
Live Streaming Support for Facebook/Youtube/Twitch
Optimizations for Live Streaming - Performer/Broadcaster Only/Performer + Broadcaster
Audio Video Sync on Live Stream
Video Console for Layout Management
Audio Console for Enhanced Audio Management
The Mac client is now signed appropriately, but you may have to change your Privacy & Security settings to allow applications to be installed from not just the App Store.

View Feeds Updated
The View Feeds feature is dramatically faster now (from 15 seconds to sub-second)

Wow, thanks so much to everyone who worked on this. What a great resource!

I think this is a solution to every mandolin player’s biggest problem: being heard during sessions. Long has the mandolin not been in the limelight, as it is too damn quiet when compared to fiddles, whistles, and the endless hordes of guitar players. Now people can finally hear us… I mean, all we have to do is turn up the gain on our mic’s.
Also, if I figure out how to get this software to mute certain people in groups at a session, it solves the question of noodlers.

Monty, you can easily set the levels that you hear each person in the session, or mute individual players.

I’ll often do this in JamKazam sessions, mute all but one or two players in the mix I hear that have the lowest latency and have a more percussive sound that I can more easily sync to, like tenor banjo. I don’t need to play along with four or five others to have a satisfying experience, one or two is just fine.

Thanks Michael!

Interestingly, I get better latency with my earbuds-with-microphone than when using a PreSonus USB 96 interface. Has anyone had a similar experience, or does anyone know why that might be?

Thanks to those of you who compiled this incredibly helpful resource.