Online Lessons with David Munnelly

Online Lessons with David Munnelly

Another post about online lessons.
If you go to https://www.facebook.com/dmunnelly1 (or just search facebook for David Munnelly)
and scroll down to April 27, you will find a link to book a lesson with David.

I took him up on this, and had a very productive 45min lesson with him yesterday,
that I plan to continue with every week.
He said that he is looking for some more students. He specializes in C#/D accordion but
can teach repertoire and style on other instruments, too.

One of the "good" things about the current situation is that it gets us to try some new things.
I have been playing for almost 40 years, but (other than learning many, many tunes) don’t feel that
I have progressed much on the box in the last decade
(after switching from B/C to C#/D and getting a few lessons from Jackie Daly).
So I recommend anyone else like me to give these lessons a try.

In my first lesson with David, we worked on the use of the basses.
I learned some bass-lines (for the common jigs Gerry’s Beaver Hat/ Lilting Fisherman, and also Maho Snaps)
that I had never considered before. He also showed be how to get chords like Dmaj7 and Emin7 using the
"cross bass" technique, that I had never tried or even heard of before.

I now feel like I should have been trying to improve my box playing with lessons like this starting
years ago, but, I guess, it is never too late to start.
Also, this is a very good way to spend my "stimulus" money!

Re: Online Lessons with David Munnelly

You can also contact David for lessons via his website: http://davidmunnelly.com/teaching/

I attended one of his workshops at a music festival and really enjoyed it.
He’s an amazing player with a great zest for life, which comes out in everything he does.

‘He also showed be how to get chords like Dmaj7 and Emin7 using the “cross bass" technique’

So it that playing C bass with D chord for the first and E bass with G chord for the second?

Does this sound better than just playing with the thirds removed from the chords (if your accordion allows that)?

Thanks,

Matt.

@Matt Kavanagh: Dmaj7 would be D bass with an F#minor chord, no? But then, I don’t know much about the LH side of button accordions…

A D chord over a C bass (D/C) could be played before a G chord over a B bass (G/B).
Also common is a C chord over a D bass (C/D) before a G chord in place of a guitar or piano player’s D7sus4, often played at the end of a part in place of the tonic (G).

(Assuming the thirds are removed / stopped):
Dmaj7 - D note + F# chord = D F# C#
Emin7 - E note+ G chord = E + G + D

I’ve been using chords like these ever since I started learning the instrument (more than 20 years ago). I’ve seen Máirtín O’Connor do this (and more), and Andy Cutting does it all the time. Those have been very important sources for inspiration.