Are any new trad albums being released during this time period?

Are any new trad albums being released during this time period?

Or is everything being delayed until there are more re-openings?
I know some more popular musical groups are delaying their releases, but I’m not sure if all album releases have come to a halt, or just some.
Thanks.

Re: Are any new trad albums being released during this time period?

New album from The Olllam coming soon! https://www.theolllam.com/
That is very very exciting ๐Ÿ™‚

http://www.brown-boots.co.uk/ Not all Irish and couldn’t find direct link but none-the-less fab playing (box & fiddle)…

John Doyle just released another solo album on May 1, called The Path Of Stones. It is excellent!
https://johndoylemusic.com/

I agree with Jeremy above - got the download of Caroline Keane’s album Shine during the week, it’s excellent! Looking forward to getting the physical CD as well

Posted by .

Actually I was confused…. that album is actually quite old - I guess their upcoming en-devour is this: https://www.gofundme.com/f/paddy-fitzgerald-cd - my bad. But that album is still great ๐Ÿ™‚

"Trad" ?

Posted by .

‘Trad’ is short for ‘traditional music’, it’s been in common use for at least a few decades now, no?

I know that. Not what I was referring to.

Posted by .

I think Kenny might be hinting that Ed Sheerin’s pals aren’t particularly "trad" in the traditional music sense of the word.

I’m inclined to agree as far as much of their work is concerned although they appear(to me) to be very good musicians and capable of playing good traditional music if they wish.

"Trad", I’m afraid, has become a quite meaningless catch all description these days and is used as a marketing term to cover anything from actual traditional music to new compositions in a so called "traditional style or idiom" and also any musician or band who make use of the various acoustic instruments usually associated with traditional music be it Irish, Scottish, or whatever. Unfortunately, it doesn’t tell us much more about what to expect than "Celtic", "Roots", or other such nonsense.

Oh, ok, I didn’t get the Ed Sheerin connection. Yeah, I’ll be taking a hard pass on that one as well.

".. capable of playing good traditional music if they wish".
No doubt about that at all. And the music on their CD will probably be very good indeed, but the request was specifically for "trad" [ traditional music ] albums, and from the track list for the vinyl release [!!] there wouldn’t appear to be any traditional music on it, certainly not under any titles I recognised.
I saw "Beoga" some years back at Dougie MacLean’s "Perthshire Amber" festival and they are all outstanding musicians, and a great live band. It’s just that traditional music is not something they do a lot of any more, and therefore their new recording - for which I wish them all the best - is not relevant to this discussion, in my opinion.

Posted by .

Thanks, Kenny. That’s what I thought.
I think they are very good in what they do too although the trendy sounding track titles don’t suggest that there’s much traditional music there.

Cheeky Elf:
"Oh, ok, I didnโ€™t get the Ed Sheerin connection. "

Nothing against Ed Sheeran either(Sorry, I spelled his name wrong before). I actually quite enjoy listening to some of his stuff but he doesn’t play traditional music either. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I listened to most of Beoga’s first album this morning for the heck of it. Talented crew, but I heard more jazz than trad in their style.

The West Ocean String Quartet have a new album out. For those unfamiliar, they are 4 musicians very accomplished in both trad and classical and the quartet is obviously a showcase of that blend of styles. I love it, here’s a short video, the new album is called ‘Atlantic Edge’

https://youtu.be/Icd_vc1njo4

It is quite hard for me to say what is trad or not trad.

Can a new tune be trad? If yes, is it because it is getting popular in sessions? Because it follows some rules and share similarities with the old tunes?

For example, isn’t someone who composes jigs and reels participating to the tradition of Irish music? In that way, Beoga is playing some trad music (well not on the new album).