Thoughts on the new Beoga album

Thoughts on the new Beoga album

For such a talented band, whose previous work I adore, this is such an out of left field, odd, and pandering album. Two “trad” tunes in the whole album, with the rest being some previously released single songs and some new.
I can appreciate the work put into the album, but the outcome is very disappointing. I suppose it could have been seen coming, as most of their latest work hasn’t been their signature style. The electronic dance sound to the tunes and the run and base, and heavy drum track to the songs are really off putting, especially for a long term fan. I’m not against the use of fusion and other genres, it’s given us some cracking tunes and songs, but there’s a time and place for it.
“Aurora” was remixed here, which was totally unnecessary and sounded rotten as a remix with EDM/Techno qualities. The title tune “Carousel” was not too bad. “In a rocket” was by far the more enjoyable song. The songs featured in the album would had been better off to be released by the singers featured in the songs themselves, with credit given to Beoga in their respective albums, which is odd as Beoga worked on song with artists such as Ed Sheeran without taking centre stage.
You could argue that they fall under this new-wave trad genre here, but I think this album barely passes as a trad album. The tunes and instruments are lost within the music and can be barely recognisable at times. It nearly sounds like this generic sound of a drum track and backing instruments drowning out the tune, similar to bands like Notify and Moxie (which I’ve witnessed first hand). Beoga are capable of mastering many genres, and have more than proves theirselves as trad musicians, but this Electronic mixed with Stomp and Holler sound is better off left to the others.

Re: Thoughts on the new Beoga album

I think you’re spot on Ergo. I saw them in concert about five years ago and they were astonishingly good so I got all of their albums. Carousel, I’ll pass by and if they return on tour again, I’ll probably skip that as well.

Based on the above two youtube vids, I’d say they’re not bad really if you like listening to the ‘music’ that plays while ‘all our operators are busy right now.’

Well, that was painful to tisten to. But I suppose it is great music for making money.

Make a Mark => If you like Ed Sheeran, you will like it, not that bad but not my pint of beer.
Carousel => The only tune that looks a bit like the older ones, but not catchy enough.
In a Rocket => BOUM BOUM BOUM.
We’re Blood => I like the melodic part of it, but not the BOUM BOUM and the mainstream pop voice.
Aurora => I think they’re just not good to remix tunes because it could have been fun to remix Aurora but it just feels empty here.
Matthew’s Daughter => Beoga left the room …

Oh right I get it, it wasn’t Beoga launching an album, it was some random pop artists launching an album with some songs featuring Beoga.

I wonder where you all got the impression that they’re *supposed* to play trad.

Sad

Remember when Dylan went electric? Things evolve.

Or devolve.

Well, the guys are running forward, while we sit in the excluded-time harbour of Trad. Good for them, good for us.

Posted by .

It’s heartwarming to see that Trad music is robust enough to break out into other genres.

I love the philosophy of bhangra - if punjabi music avoided the onslaught of global monoculture, then it would be marginalised- and literally defined by what pop music is (ie - ‘we are not that’). If it grabbed that pop music by the horns and merged it into the tradition (as it did) - it would add to the global relevance and longevity of punjabi traditional music. It made something new - but it was not an enemy to punjabi music - more a friend.

Our tradition is strong and should artists break into electronic (or other) modes - it shows the continual relevance and thriving nature of our music. It increases the vibrancy of our own tradition - bringing in more students and learners - bringing Gaelic music more devoted fans and students.

I felt almost confused when I heard Ed Sheeran‘s use of trad tropes- I wouldn’t sit and listen to it. But I cannot deny the increased interest in traditional music by friends - thanks to this tepid song or two. It prompted one friend (for example) to ensure traditional musicians play at her wedding, as well as a now having a solid appreciation for ‘pure drop.’

Our tradition is doing great - perhaps at a historical peak - this music is a great sign of its strength and its continual ability to play a part in people’s lives.

Even if we are not appreciators of such songs and use of electronics.

There’s no law to say that trad should be rooted in traditional style, fusion is a great way of introducing younger musicians to trad and, as said, shows how robust it can be. Its disappointing in this case however since Beoga are renown for their trad AND fusion skill, which I feel is wasted on being used a backing track to songs.

I saw Stockton’s Wing when they’d first gone "pop." I loved it - and I still do. But the Beoga thing - again, just hearing Aurora II - leaves me wondering "Why?"

Maybe that’s what happens when you give kids a synthesizer. Kidding - kidding - some of my best friends play synth.

Posted by .