Surprising personal discovery

Surprising personal discovery

Today my wife and I joined in our first session in awhile. Okay, it was very small, just us and a really good guitar player who knows the tunes. We played outside and sat apart from the guitarist by 10 feet. We were having such a good time that three hours went by before we even realized it.

Even so, this evening I was motivated to play even more, and now I realize now that our little session earlier today energized me much more than I would have expected. What we played together earlier today was a partial payoff for the many hours spent learning and practicing the tunes.

No doubt, what we love about playing this music is in the sharing of it and collaborating with others. As long as we can do it with an acceptable level of risk, the tradition should be able to continue.

Playing outside and distancing with small numbers of players may be the new normal for awhile for those seeking the lowest-risk scenarios - from my experience, the benefit of doing this may be substantial.

Posted by .

Re: Surprising personal discovery

That sounds grand. A virtually intimate encounter. . with all due social distancing. I´ve found these small encounters very rewarding, much more than some large, what I dub ¨cattle-call¨, sessions. Somewhere off in the distance I see some of these happening again for me. Thank you.

Posted by .

Providing you find a good large room with the right acoustics, it should be possible to observe good social distancing, still have an enjoyable time, and make good music too.

It’s probably not possible to do this in most pubs but maybe small village halls, community centres, and the like could be used. The sort of places where we might have a more organised session or workshop at a festival etc. Of course, it’s a little less intimate but the actual music would sound fine and certainly carry much better than outdoors.
Of course, we may need to discourage casual punters from coming along but that wouldn’t necessarily be a bad thing.

At the risk of ruining good friendships - a lot of outside space and you can throw the guitar player in the pond if he starts coughing.

All of that aside, I think that this is going to be the new normal for the time being. I’m working on the same approach. Zoom sessions are a pallative, but don’t quite do it for me.

And you couldn’t ask for a better host than dfost. Play on.

I’m wondering how playing outside is going to work if the virus is still around in the winter.

I’m wondering how playing outside is going to work during a normal Irish or Scottish Summer.
🙂
We’ve been very lucky so far this year although the scientists and authorities would have been happier if there had been lots of bad weather and we’d all stayed indoors.

Gazebo and patio heater.