Star Trek Voyager tune

Star Trek Voyager tune

I’m happily watching Star Trek Voyager for the umpteenth time and in the episode ‘Fair Haven’, which, yes, is cliched, There is a dance scene where a tune is played with bodhran, hammered dulcimer and fiddle. It doesn’t quite sound Irish, maybe Scottish or English but here it is-

https://youtu.be/r3n5nhodV7s

Re: Star Trek Voyager tune

Sounds more like ‘baroque’ period music no? than anything folky.

As an unrelated aside, have you found any other series that come close to ST?

I loved TNG and VOY but couldn’t get into DS9 with Sisko’s (or rather the actor’s) tremendously hammy acting and since he is captain the whole show is saturated with him. Even that newer one named simply Star Trek with the guy from Quantum Leap I ended up enjoying quite a lot once it found its feet.

I tried babylon 5 but the CGI looks like a 90s computer game (because of course it was made on ataris) and couldn’t get past it. I also found the ‘epic’ storyline very cliche so didn’t do much for me besides anyway.

I know it is ‘forbidden’ subject matter so maybe answers in PM; you were the ringleader who started it so I can’t be held responsible for getting caught up in it 🙂.

I too watch the ST series’ many times to the point it has lost its luster, though it has been a few years maybe I am ready for a re-run, but I prefer not waste my time on that now 🙂 as I always think of all the hours I could have spent practicing whistle in that time.

Though I wouldn’t mind a new series to peck at now and then after my daily whistle practice of course! When I looked in the past it was just too hard to find something that has that same humanist theme running through it; ST feels like an education in morals rather than just a TV show and you often feel warm after watching it.

There are two new ST series in recent years. ST: Picard and ST: Discovery. I cant necessarily recommend them since i have limited exposure. That, and a paywall. But they do exist.

Posted by .

No… please do not defile the discussion by mentioning those unmentionables.

The franchise died a long time ago as far as I am concerned. I believe one can only seek new soil and new series’ now.

Sounds English to me. Not so easy to hear.

Posted by .

Sound English to me too, but could it be colonial American? Made up for the film?

Scenes like these often use either library or comped music - library music is basically a CD that comes with a licence to do anything you like with the contents, and comped music is specially composed to sound like something without actually infringing on anything.

Posted by .

It’s a version of a reel that was played in Wicklow years ago, called "Cutting the turf"

I watched and enjoyed both Babylon Five and Star Trek Deep Space Nine when they were first being broadcast. I am old enough to remember watching the original Star Trek series when it was first broadcast. I haven’t watched Star Trek Discovery or Star Trek Picard yet. I have watched The Next Degeneration and Voyager as well.

Laurence

I loved DS9, personally. My favorite Trek. Yeah, Avery Brooks was hammy, but (to me, anyway) not hammy in an off-putting way like Shatner.

From the thread title, I thought we’d be talking about Voyager’s title theme. A nice piece! Fits just right on a Db/C# whistle.

Life of Apple Pie said: "ST feels like an education in morals rather than just a TV show and you often feel warm after watching it."

If you liked this aspect, you would love the old original "Kung Fu" pilot movie and the three-season tv show that followed, beginning in 1972. DVD’s are still available I believe.

Jimi, David Bell did scores for Voyager. I don’t know if the tune is his composition or an arrangement. Apparently he did his homework & likely composed the tune.

"Reading the script also lets me see if there will be any unusual musical issues that need to be addressed. For instance, Star Trek: Voyager episode #231 (“Fairhaven”) took place in a holosuite program of a quaint Irish village (named Fairhaven). While the film was being edited — and before I began actual composing work on the episode — I was able to do research into Irish music and talk to the musicians with whom I work to find out particulars of Irish instruments (such as the best key in which to compose for an Irish penny whistle). "

ps

Laurence, I just finished watching all 5 seasons of Babylon 5.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tj4qfe9afs

Another Star Trek tune composition;
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/images/6/66/RessikanFlute.ogg/revision/latest?cb=20040907040448&path-prefix=en

Posted by .

Well i loved DS9, it was my fave and and I didn’t mind Avery Brooks acting style, It was part of his personality like most actors. He had bold mannerisms. I like all the Treks and look forward to Picard and the next Discovery season. So the tune was composed for the show? Impressive. It’s fun and I may learn it for geek reasons.

Most of the Star Trek series were done with a live (smallish) orchestra, with new music composed for each episode.

Posted by .

"While the film was being edited — and before I began actual composing work on the episode " So we must see them dancing to something else.

When people ask me why I like to watch Star Trek and Babylon Five when I am not playing music, my standard response is, "What should I watch? Most of the other programs on television are not as good." I say "not as good" because I am trying to be nice and avoid using any profanity.

Laurence

I’m a fan from the very beginnings of the Star Trek world and both Discovery and Picard are brilliantly done. They are both well worth watching.

I have not been able to watch the 2nd season of Discovery though I did catch the first season & a few of the 2nd when it originally streamed. It’s good. Have not seen Picard. What I have seen & recommend if you enjoy spooofs is Orville, created and written by Seth MacFarlane. His more well-known endeavours are of no interest to me though I appreciate his writing in Oroville & the campy/cheeky cast of off-colour characters.

Posted by .

David50, they do seem to be dancing a bit out of sync with the tune. Anyone recognise the style of dance?

DS9 was my favorite also, and Cap’t Sisko my favorite (next to Kirk, who is…well…Kirk!!!)