Left hand playing

Left hand playing

Hello
I have a gently used Cairdin BC box a bought recently and it looks and sounds great! My question is I am just starting to get the hang of playing with the left hand. When I play a bass note , I can hear a faint echo or twang when I release the button. Is this normal, something that can be fixed by a box technician, or is it related to my being new to my technique and the sound diminishes as I improve my technique? Thanks for any feedback.

Re: Left hand playing

That’s usually a low pitched reed that’s not completely clearing the reedblock. It’s not ideal but unlikely to do much harm or get much worse, so probably not worth worrying about unless it really bothers you or you bring the box in for other servicing requirements.

Also, it’s not very loud, so it will be more apparent to you than a listener.

Posted by .

Re: Left hand playing

As a melodeon fettler it is a common question I get. It is perfectly normal and just an artefact of the size of the reeds. The bass reeds are large and some are tip weighted so, when you release the button, although the reed is no longer being driven by the air it takes a small amount of time to come to rest hence the echo/twang. The good news is nobody else will hear it and before long you will learn to ignore it.