Gerry Harrington playing the most best instrument of them all

Re: Gerry Harrington playing the most best instrument of them all

What a well-behaved dog! I’d be howling if I were sat next to that thing - and I’m not even a dog.

A dreadful instrument beautifully played.

The dog did nonchalantly lick its balls towards the beginning and then settled down with that look on his face that says, ‘Oh blimey, he’s playing that bloody thing again’!

There’s one of those odd contraptions at the Musical Instrument Museum in Phoenix, Arizona. Can’t recall what it’s called.

Yuch.
Not the playing. In fact, thanks for putting me on to Gerry’s Youtubes!

But I really don’t like the sound of the Stroh. Give me an electric with distortion, echo and phase shifter any day.

Posted by .

Used to see a guy playing one of these in Belfast city centre a few years ago. I think it was homemade as the body looked to be the exact same as the Ashbury electric fiddle I once owned.
Alex.

When the Incredible String Band was a two-piece Robin Williamson played something similar. I couldn’t be precise as its a memory from 5o years ago.

Posted by .

The Stroh fiddle was a combination of the violin and acoustic gramophone technology - the bridge connected to a diaphragm at the bottom end of the horn. The horn then matched the impedance of the bridge to the atmosphere, producing the most efficient transfer of string energy into the air.

The instrument was invented at the time of acoustic recording, where the performer’s sound was picked up by a massive horn and applied to a diaphragm connected to a cutting needle that cut the grooves in the disc. A normal violin couldn’t produce enough volume to cut tracks adequately. That need for volume also determined who were successful vocalists in the period - they needed to be LOUD….

The small horn provided foldback to the performer’s ear - important to a fiddle player as they are used to having the left ear assaulted by sound.

The nasal quality is due to the limited bandwidth of a horn - about three octaves. The full sound bandwidth is about 10 octaves, although most instruments probably only take advantage of about 5. Three is a bit narrow - about what the old telephone lines could carry.

Gerry doesn’t say so explicitly, but I wonder if that’s not Julia Clifford’s actual instrument? If so, what an artifact and piece of Irish music history!

https://rushymountain.com/2016/04/22/julia-clifford/

I’ve always been bowled over by Gerry’s playing on his two albums with Peter Horan (essential listening!) and his work on The Smokey Chimney. Brilliant, lovely playing.

About the dog
I am a whistle player and started on an American made aluminum Burke whistle. The dogs would disappear then I played it. Got Blackwood Oz whistle. Same tune same result with aluminum. Oz whistle. Just sat listening. Must have seem some harmonic in the metal?

They’re always going to sound like a horn gramophone due to the sound production method; and the HMV dog sat and listened to one of THOSE all day.

I’ve found the Strohviol very effective for occasional busking - it draws people in through its curiosity value.