R.I.P. Kevin Henry

Re: R.I.P. Kevin Henry

I was very saddened to hear this. I just discovered Kevin Henry’s music and recitations in the last 18 months or so. From the interviews I’ve seen with him he seemed like a wonderful man with a passion for sharing and keeping Irish Trad and culture alive in Chicago. I never met the man, but I’ve listened to his album "One’s Own Place, A Family Tradition" often. Good Man Kevin! Rest In Peace!

A sad loss indeed - “Rex” alone was worth the cost of that album several years back, and the flute playing isn’t too shabby either. Condolences to his family and friends.

Thank you for posting the Mullagh recording, Kenny. I very much appreciate it. Also, Steamwilkes, thank you! Brilliant musician, Kevin Henry, he will be remembered.

Posted by .

We met Kevin and his wife at Willie Week and at Tubbercurry 2002 if I remember correctly. We played in Brennan’s in Tubber and Kevin showed us his double chanter and his set of pipes with the mother-of-pearl stock. A gentle man. He talked about the Boys of the Lough playing a concert in Chicago and Cathal seeking out Kevin and his wife in the audience as they looked like "country people" meant in a good way.

Darn. I have his album and it’s great. A tune I associate with him is the reel called "Dermot Grogan’s"; the only other person I’ve heard play it is the flute player Seán Gavin. His version of "Ah Surely" on an F flute is also wonderful. This is a sad coincidence as I have been playing his brother John’s "Wise Maid", all twelve parts of it.

So sad to hear this. He was a kind man and a brilliant musician, and he told GREAT stories.

Condolences to his family and friends.