Do you remember the first tune you learned?

Do you remember the first tune you learned?

Mine was Chief O’Neill’s Favorite Hornpipe.

I asked a friend who was attending the local session to recommend a tune to learn that got played every week. He told me that he was recommending a hornpipe to start off with because they are in common time but played slower than reels.

Re: Do you remember the first tune you learned?

The first tune I ever learned on my fiddle was Dr. Gilbert’s reel (out of Mat Cranich’s fiddle book). After that I don’t think I just learned one tune at a time. As soon as I knew I could play I was off and away. I do really like Chief O’Niell’s hornpipe, by the way. That was one of my early ones as well.

Posted by .

‘Off to California’ and I still enjoy playing it!

Rolling In The Rye Grass (that I knew under the name of "Shannon Breeze") and The Star Of Munster.
I remember it was hard to play fast on the Boehm flute, didn’t have any Irish instrument, I was 13 years old.

The Home Ruler/ Kitty’sWedding set.

The Merry Blacksmith and The Earl’s Chair started every session I attended while learning, so I learned both of them together

The Ship in Full Sail - that was the tune that captured me most among those in the CD of Fintan Vallely’s flute book.

Lark in the Morning, 4 part

Posted by .

The Hills of Lochiel - otherwise known here as The Banks of the Devon

Probably the air from "Playboy of the Western World", that I learned from the Seán Ó Riada sound track record. But O’Neill’s Favorite would have been soon after I suppose.

On my box it was Egan’s Polka in D.

Matt Heaton taught me to flat pick Maid Behind The Bar on guitar, so that I would know the tune well enough to make better decisions about how to accompany it. But my decision was really to start playing tunes instead of accompanying them.

Like many other Highland pipers of my generation it was the first tune in The Green Book

Scots Wha Hae Wi’ Wallace Bled.

And like so many other pipers I’ve not played it since!

Years later, after learning about keys and theory and such, I realized that it’s one of a group of Scottish tunes that begin and end on the Dominant. Skye Boat Song is another.

The Cork Hornpipe, known there and then as Harvest Home. It’s still a great tune - but you must love and respect it. (Like so many, I suppose.)

No.

Merrily Kissed the Quaker (from Pierre Bensusan’s first album).

Posted by .

First polka /first tune : The Britches full of Stitches
First jig : East of Glendart
First reel : P. Joe’s reel
First Scottish /Cape Breton jig : The Highlander’s jig aka Cold Wind from Ben Wyviss
First strathspey :The Lime Hill (Dan R MacDonald - Yes! )
First march : Father John Angus Rankin
First sight read reel that actually sounded like a reel : Wissahickon Drive
First Shetland tune : Da Slockit Light
First tune collection : Jerry Holland Volume 1
Current tune /air obsession : Beautiful Lake Ainslie

When I was a child, the first tunes I learned were from Eta Cohen’s Violin Method - Twinkle Twinkle.Now the Day is Over and a bit more interesting to me, because my Scottish father used to sing it, ‘A Highland Lad my love was born’. Also Cock of the North, known in our house as Kilty Mary.

When I took up my fiddle again in my thirties, and then (having had to give up for career reasons) again in my sixties, the tunes were from Peter Kennedy’s Fiddler’s Tune Book. The one I turned to again and again, and the one that I chose to play at my sample lesson with Fiddle Guru eight years ago was ‘Flowers of Edinburgh’.

I’m still playing it and one day, God willing, I’ll play it fast enough!

Morrison’s Jig, not from any Irish band but off an Alan Stivell lp, mid 60’s I think. I learnt a whole load of Breton tunes at the same time, most of which I’ve forgotten.

Probably Harvest Home and the Boys of Bluegill, but Off to California wasn’t long after.

The Geese in the Bog.
And Put Me in the Big Chest was the first reel I learned.

Queen of the Fair from a Dubliners recording

"The Mason’s Apron", from Sean Maguire playing on the 1969 compilation album "Ulster’s Flowery Vale."

Beautiful playing, in his prime, on a loaned Guarneri violin.

Bog down the valley-o on mandolin and mo ghile mear on fiddle.

Blackthorn Stick, Drowsy Maggie.
From heady days of mid 80s. Tunes came from ‘Begged, Borrowed & Stolen’. I was a raw beginner, and our little learning group was only marginally better than that. I mustn’t have been concentrating on the music sufficiently, as first steady girlfriend and pretty soon all the rest followed.

Probably “Monaghan Jig” On guitar, off of sheet music, just because my name is Monahan. That was before I knew anything about anything about Irish music. Now I know slightly more than nothing about Irish music.

Yes Arthur the more I learn the less I know.

Yes, I probably remember it, but I have no idea which tune it was.

Sean Ryan’s polka… this was when Titanic first came out and I listened to the cd 100 times just to figure it out. (Back before any of these slow down apps were available and I didn’t know what Irish music was)

Cheers,

Melany

Posted by .

I think it was the Road to Lisdoonvarna, one of the tunes I heard in common between my first few sessions. Spent way too much time trying to work out clawhammer arrangements of those first tunes before I saved up and got a mandolin, then a tenor.

Like minijackpot, it was Harvest Home and Boys of Blue Hill, which seemed an obligatory passage in those days, followed by Saddle the Pony (first jig), Drowsy Maggie (first reel) and Kid on the Mountain (first slip jig). All good tunes, not too difficult but each with little technical twists which got you learning stuff to apply to later tunes.

If I go as far back as I can remember it would be tunes I heard in my Grannie’s 78s & LPs. Big band & jazz music. Most memorable is "The Red, Red Robin". (I whistled along). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmHqyDShdvg

In the 80s I began learning irish tunes and playing sessions. Many of the tunes posted above were in our common session repertoire. But it was really around 1998 when I began sessioning on a regular basis. Here are a few clips of the tunes I was listening to & playing then.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=_YTY0GZynsA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeN4Vkj_Q9E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAS0EykZg1c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQnhJVMc5CE

Posted by .

‘Bound for Botany Bay’ song on accordion when I was 10. I had little access to folk tunes so I only learned half a dozen Australian folk tunes/songs.
My first tune on whistle was traditional Chinese from a cassette tape of a flutist down at the local show.
First ‘celtic’ tune was the Scottish tune ‘The sailor’s wife’ heard on ‘Firefly’.
Banish Misfortune was my first Irish tune.

It really wasn’t that long ago that I started playing flute, and I nailed my first two on the same day, although I’m not sure which was first.
Boru’s March
Follow Me Up To Carlow

I had a whistle which just sat on the shelf as I couldn’t play it.
Mary McAleese was elected first female president. They were asking the public what they felt. In the streets of Dublin someone was playing You Are My Sunshine. Got the whistle and played it.
Never looked back

I play the jig everyday but don’t remember its given name.

Posted by .

O’Carolan’s Concerto.

BBS: Blackthorn Stick . Harvest Home What a moment when I first tied together De diddly didily didily didily Diddily didily didily de

Cheers, Michelle Mc, I almost forgot about River’s dance in Firefly.
Much appreciation for your reminder.
;)

"Captain Malcom Reynolds explains the first rule of flying to his new co-pilot, River Tam."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu8ESMHRklo

Posted by .

Didn’t realize this discussion was open to non-trad music - in which case my first tunes were either the Shadows ‘Apache’ or Buddy Holly’s ’ Peggy Sue’…………..

i think it was a polka called Waves of Tory (later i found out it was the Grand Ould Dame or something)

Either "Grumbling Old Men/Cackling old Woman", or Drowsy Maggie. Or maybe Drops of Brandy. Hmmm

One of the first tunes I learned in fiddle class in Orkney was "The Rowan Tree", a song. Another was " "Sleepy Laddie", an Orkney song by Ali Windwick (posted on thesession.org). We also learned and I liked "Angus MacLeod", short and easy to memorise - this from Book One of the Ceili Books for Fiddle. "Hurlock’s Reel" (Tom Anderson, Shetland) is a nice tune though one person in the class disliked it for some reason, anyhow it needs to be played fast which few of us at the time could manage. The only Irish tune I recall (from about 2004) was a Carolan tune, "Planxty Irwin".

I see people are putting their first non-Irish tune, then their first Irish tune.

As I had said my first instrument was GHB and my first tune (like most other pipers) was Scots Wha Hae.

When I got my hands on an uilleann practice set (hard to do in California in the 1970s) my first tune was

The Frieze Breeches

because I had got the Planxty album with Cunla/Frieze Breeches. That’s what inspired me to play the uilleann pipes. For the dots I had The Dance Music Of Willie Clancy.

The Irish Washerwoman, lol. I would have been in elementary school.

An old-time American fiddle tune my dad taught me. I still play it once in a while, but to this day I’ve never known its name.

Oyster Girl

The (West) Clare Jig.
The very first tune I learnt by ear in 2007.

No I don’t

Long time no see, Dave. 🙂

Nor me.
The first tunes I ever played or songs sung I never consciously "learned". So, as soon as I found my way around my first istrument, I already had many of the well known simpler tunes in my head.

I think it was connaughtman’s rambles on the mandolin for a first tune in the traditional regard.

I played guitar as a first instrument and my dad had me playing the riff from smoke on the water by deep purple. That was my very first tune.

Good times.

I learned The South Wind on the whistle. It took me six weeks! to feel that I could play it through every time without getting it wrong. I am so glad I persisted. Now I can get most of a tune in a session after three times through, and more complicated ones after hearing them a few weeks in a row. Never give up!

Lovely.
Of "all the tunes in the world", that’s a good choice.
🙂