tune name

Re: tune name

Too fast for my taste.

Posted by .

I don’t get it, why has it been sped up like that?

Why do you think it has been "sped up" ? That’s the speed they want to play it at. I’m with "Ergo" on this. Too many notes and not enough music.
I prefer the original :

https://youtu.be/tMfvl0P5tD0

Posted by .

Nice pace to dance to, Kenny.

The fiddler is uncomfortable. He’s handling it, but he’s uncomfortable. I’m a fiddler and I know the feeling. And the look.

Posted by .

Having just measured it, Kenny’s recording is at ~113bpm and the OP’s is at ~119. What does that tell us?

Posted by .

It tells you the difference 6bpm makes.

Posted by .

"Having just measured it, Kenny’s recording is at ~113bpm and the OP’s is at ~119. What does that tell us?"

I’ve got it at 138 on my Seiko.

Posted by .

"138 is there! Thank you very much. 140 will be next please."

Posted by .

I’ve got it at 139 bpm (counting 2/2). Colin Farrell is the current fiddler in the Lúnasa band, and has recorded and performed with Kevin Crawford on side projects. He didn’t get there by being anything other than amazing, and I don’t get the impression that he’s struggling here. If you’re familiar with his work, he likes to show off a bit. He has the technique for it.

That performance is too fast for my taste, but it looked like the crowd enjoyed it, so there’s that.

OT but here’s a favorite clip of Colin Farrell playing a set with Kevin Crawford and John Doyle, where he takes off in the middle and Kevin makes fun of it, with John doing his best to keep up. The fun starts at around 2 minutes into the clip. Not session material but fun to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ_FySsvayM

I may be wrong, but the video does not appear to me to be at the right speed. The audience’s movements do not seem quite natural, and the camera is moving too fast.

Nigel, I used the custom slow down feature when I watched it.

Posted by .

Who cares if it’s too fast for the taste of someone on the internet. Sometimes some types of public performance lead to you playing faster than you mean. No big deal.

It’s not a question of the speed of playing, it’s whether the video playback is at the right speed!

For myself I don’t see anything surprising in the way it’s playing.

Fun clip!

Alright, I can’t keep up with the lads in the first clip, but that’s because I haven’t played the tune in years. It’s a speed I wouldn’t choose for that tune (or quirky ones, say, Ed Reavy tunes), but I think tunes like for instance Humours of Scarrif or the Tommy Peoples reel in Bm are relatively playable at that speed. Even listenable.

I’m wondering myself. More because of how the people in the crowd are moving than the musicians themselves. It almost seems like it was a 25 fps clip encoded and being played back at 30 fps, but downloading the original YouTube .mp4 file it’s encoded at 25 fps. I brought the downloaded clip into Transcribe and slowed it down to about 85% (approx 30 fps played at 25 fps) and it feels more natural and the crowd moves more normally. But who knows, maybe the frame rate got messed up in the editing workflow or it’s right and everyone in the crowd had a strong cup of espresso before the show… 🙂

My phone says 132 there.

As opposed to Patrick Street’s more musical 115.

I hear bands nowadays playing reels at 135 and it’s not my cup of tea.

Yes in the hands of a great player a speed like that doesn’t sound rushed and doesn’t sound out of control.

But it starts sounding like something other than traditional Irish dance music.

MUCH prefer the Patrick Street version to the first clip! More" musical". Thanks Kenny.

Ach, there’s room for baith ! But if the TV company speeded that first clip up, that to me is unforgiveable. At the same time, I’ve no doubt those guys could play at that speed if they chose to. Personal preferences. Live and let live.

Posted by .