Derlin Flute cleaning tips?

Derlin Flute cleaning tips?

Safest way to give a SUPER disinfecting clean to a pre-owned Derlin Low D flute?

Re: Derlin Flute cleaning tips?

Put it in the dishwasher

Delrin™ is a DuPont trademarked version of polyoxymethylene, or POM, or acetal resin. It´s very chemically resistant. Anything you would use to kill Covid-19 shouldn´t faze it. Maybe not prolonged exposure to boiling water 🙂

"Maybe not prolonged exposure to boiling water " …… as in "Put it in the dishwasher" ?? They get pretty hot. You can cook a fish in one! I went to a dinner party once.

Posted by .

Soap and water will do fine. Alcohol too.

Do not use chlorine or chlorine based cleaners! Soap and modestly hot water are completely sufficient. When done washing, dry and wipe down with a beeswax/vaseline mixture to protect and bring a nice black sheen (otherwise it may have an ashy black appearance). If you have a metallic tuning slide, be especially careful with it, and follow the maker’s advice on how to re-grease it.
Per wikipedia:
"Acetal resins are sensitive to acid hydrolysis and oxidation by agents such as mineral acid and chlorine. POM homopolymer is also susceptible to alkaline attack and is more susceptible to degradation in hot water. Thus low levels of chlorine in potable water supplies (1–3 ppm) can be sufficient to cause environmental stress cracking, a problem experienced in both the US and Europe in domestic and commercial water supply systems. Defective mouldings are most sensitive to cracking, but normal mouldings can succumb if the water is hot. Both POM homopolymer and copolymer are stabilized to mitigate these types of degradation."
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyoxymethylene

If you have metallic parts on your flute, especially a tuning slide, after gently washing it, I like to give it a final rinse with distilled water to wash away dissolved metals and other chemicals in tap water that might otherwise speed corrosion.

I recently asked a question about lubing tuning slides on whistles. One response was, "Ask the maker." I emailed two makers and each responded. Your question seems to be of a similar sort. Asking the maker may be helpful.

Delrin may be safely heated up to 130C. It doesn’t like UV, though.

Posted by .