When will we se the return of the pub session in Ireland

When will we see the return of the pub session in Ireland

I see from July 20th onward that pubs with 100 people will be able to open. If all goes well Covid wise when are we likely to see live music again or pub sessions as I really do miss them.

Re: When will we se the return of the pub session in Ireland

I hope that goes well.

Here in California we had recently seen restaurants and pubs reopen, but just a couple days ago the Governor had to shut them back down in Los Angeles and some other places due to 80% of them not following safety rules.

Yeah its become a thing with businesses so far here that each one needs to have a Covid officer present to check you have correct health and safety markings, a sanitizer station and to advise on social distancing.

They are supposedly opening on July 15th in Scotland, with restrictions (don’t yet know what these are), but I don’t see how sessions will be viable. At my regular one, musicians end up sitting in one another’s laps. If you do things like limit the number of musicians in a session, how do you manage that in an equitable way? If it’s first come first serve, or there’s a weekly sign-up, some people will get aggressive about making sure they are always there in time, so some people will be playing regularly, while others won’t be able to get in at all. The session in question was bad enough for that — with the start time being pushed earlier and earlier due to musicians vying for the good seats and arriving earlier and earlier.

If pubs allow sessions but restrict the numbers of musicians who can attend, I think it’s impossible to avoid situations where some people get an awesome session (not overcrowded! pub quiet!), but many lose out. And you inject heroin into the politics and cliqueyness of something that is already a morass of politics and cliqueyness.

Maybe today, though there’ll have to be food on the table too…

I’ll wager there’ll be pub garden sessions in the north on Friday.

Just don’t sit next to a whistle or flute player, lol!

"Just don’t sit next to a whistle or flute player, lol!"

IT’S NOT SPIT IT’S CONDENSATION!!!
🙂

Singing is supposed to be as bad for dispersing droplets possibly laden with Covid!
Much as I miss pub sessions, I’m in no hurry to return. I’ll carry on Zooming for now.
Many of these re-openings are driven by economic factors and not by sound health and safety principles.

In London the pubs re-open next Saturday. Music performance, though, is still VERBOTEN. We wait…

Does anyone here have any experience of sessions actually restarting? What are they really like? Are singers/tin whistles/flutes actually banned?

Pubs, after being open for a few weeks since mid-June, are shutting down again on Jul 1 for an unknown amount of time here in San Diego County. I wouldn’t expect we’ll have sessions here again until June 2021 the way things are going.

Hi Scots_Niall

Check out the Facebook page for Club Ceol Hobart. Feast your eyes on those pics!
They’re from The New Sydney Hotel, Hobart on 7th June.
I haven’t played there in a while, but heard that they managed to organise the first session whilst observing the Tasmanian regulations, at the time, of 4 sq m per person. They have continued, once a week, and they might have more players as restrictions have been reduced to 2 sq m this last week.
The photos were taken by Jeremy Sibson of Hobart who, besides being an avid photographer, is a passionate percussionist and bodhrán player.
Some members here might remember him from visits to NSH.

All the best
Brian x

Thanks briantheflute, looking at those pictures really heals my heart.
Let’s hope for the best
Massimo Giuntini