Acoustic preamps a pickup systems

Acoustic preamps a pickup systems

Hello you all !!!

Hope you’re all well and safe in this strange times we’re going through.
I’m going through some changes on my acoustic guitar amplification system and thought this would be a good place to get new suggestions.

For the past years I’ve been using a combination the L.R.Baggs M1 passive pickup and the L.R.Baggs Para Acoustic D.I. After some research I’m really keen about the combination of the K&K Trinity pro system, which has a soundboard transducer and an internal condenser microphone, through a FELIX preamp by Grace Design.

Is anyone out there using the same combination ?
If so, do you have any general recommendations ?

Anyhow, all other suggestions of combinations are welcome !!!!!

Looking forward to your replies.

Miguel

Re: Acoustic preamps a pickup systems

Well you’d be hard pushed to get a better preamp. Absolutely top of the heap.

Miguel, I have been using Headway active pu’s on my guitar, cittern and mandolin for many years. They have very accurate sound, need little EQ, go straight into the desk and have a high output with little feedback. They are fairly easy to fit by a competent luthier but care must be taken to get a flat base to the saddle slot or frequency response will be uneven. The only other recent pick up that I have used is the Canadian Schatten series. I fitted one to my wife’s harp, which was very easy and found it had a very warm tone and good output level. Again, straight into the desk, little EQ and no feedback. I also have one on a Kiff Wood guitar and it is as good as the one on the harp. My experience with internal mics is that they will feed back very easily; I try to avoid them. Both of these pu’s are good for the sound man as they give few problems; they usually set the gain too high and are surprised at the signal strength. The above instruments are played in a 5-piece band, 2 fiddles, flute, harp and guitar.

Hope this helps,

Dick.

Posted by .

I’ve tried a lot of guitar pickups and the LR Baggs "Anthem" is by far the best in my opinion. The Para-Acoustic DI is still hard to beat as a preamp.

Baggs Anthem is great sounding and you can dial in or out the amount of microphone.
K&K is good too but placement in the instrument is critical.
Advice about PADI vs FELIX - the FELIX may sound a bit better, has built-in mute, 2 channels and is more tweakable, but there are some things to consider — you will need to plug it in to the mains, and it has such an array of controls and settings that it can be a bit confusing to tweak in a live-on-stage situation. PADI is flat-out simple to adjust.

Posted by .

There’s also the Radial PZ-Pre at a third of the cost of the FELiX.

It also may depend on what sort of music you are playing and in what setup. Like, mainly strumming, flatpicking or fingerpicking? Do you play solo or in a band?

Hey folks !!!
Thanks so much for all your input. It sure gave me a lot to think about.
Best wishes

Miguel

The Bagg’s are are standard by which all others are judged. I used K & K’s years back through and old Fishman preamp I had kicking around (so long ago I don’t recall the model) and it worked for me fairly well. Once I bought the Bagg’s Para-Acoustic, I was blown away by the control it gave me. I’ve used it ever since (actually have one on both the 6 and 12 strings, Tenor Banjo, Bouzouki and Mandola).
Playing at pubs and some larger venues, I had feedback issues with condenser mics. Plugging the sound hole helped on my guitars, but the Soul, Banjo and Mandola didn’t have that option, so I moved entirely to piezos. So if you’re performing somewhere that needs more volume through the PA, I recommend avoiding condensers in the instrument.

I have K&K mandolin twins in my citterns (Laurence Nyberg) and a mandolin (‘28 Gibson A), I play them through a Fishman Platinum Pro EQ and a Fishman Loudbox Minicharge - I’m really happy with the sound. I play in a trio with guitar & cello, also a very busy flautist who shows up when she can. My main instrument is what Laurence calls a "mini" cittern, really a five course mandola (which sounds like it should be a Buddist holiday feast), I describe it as a mandolin on steroids. It’s quite bright, englemann spruce top & maple body, I can dial that down a bit with the brilliance control on the preamp, then brighten up the Gibson a bit.

PASSAC EC I made in the 80s in Australia bought out by USA company GONE. They are for violin and guitar
they have built in ability to tune to the guitar/violin and bring out that beautiful woody acoustic sound Downside, Batteries must be changed often 9v

You having two bites at the cherry here Miguel? Good on you. Hope you get it sorted. 🙂

Hey folks

Thanks very much for all your input. It surge gave a lot to think about.
After some consideration I think I’m going for the L. R. Baggs Lyric microphone. I’ve been really keen to try an internal microphone system and the Lyric seems to be a good option when it comes to the price/quality rate. The only thing I do not like it is the fact that you have to store a 9V battery inside the guitar. But well, I suppose you cant everything to your measure.