Keyed Delrin flutes

Keyed Delrin flutes

Hi all

I am thinking of moving from keyless to keyed at some point. For a number of reasons the choice has to be Delrin. I see that some flutemakers (Dave Copley, Damien Thompson and Francois Baubet) can make Delrin flutes with up to 6 keys. Do you know any other option? Do you know of any who can make a fully keyed (8 keys) Delrin flute? In any case, any recommendations on the best keyed Delrin flutes?

Also, what kind of maintenance would be required for keyed Delrin flutes?

Thanks
Sergio

Re: Keyed Delrin flutes

Maurice Reviol has retrofitted keys onto a keyless Somers Delrin flute. You might give him a shout to find out if he would do the whole kit. Alternatively, if you already have a Delrin keyless flute you know and like, he would be able to fit it out with keys.

Keyed Delrin flutes would require much of the same care as a wooden one. Need to take care of pads, fit & adjustment of keys, mechanism, springs, posts or block slots & pivots, tarnish of metals, case to protect from physical damage (particularly keys).

Try John Gallagher. He might do a delrin 8 key. Also though Copley doesn’t list on his site I feel like I have seen an 8 key.

Posted by .

Maurice Reviol did a stellar job retrofitting my Somers Pratten with all 8 keys. I failed to notice that the distance between the R3 hole and the joint was a bit longer on the Somers than on some other fluted so the C#C keys were a bit if a reach. My local guy made a modification that brought them back into reach. I REALLY like this flute and am glad I had it done. Not Reviol’s problem nor would this be a problem with adding 6 keys. Just be sure you have this discussion with whoever you choose to add keys and when choosing the flute you modify. Still I’m sure that any maker of fully keyed delrin flutes has covered this issue.

As for maintenance, there should be no difference in taking care of the keys, as separate from the flute itself. Keys are keys, the flute body is the flute body. Some may feel that post mounted keys, which I think all retrofitted flutes have to have, are harder to care for than block mounted. I’m not one of them. Does anybody know of a maker who does block mounts in delrin? Does anybody know a maker who will retrofit blocks mounts (C#/C) keys to a wooden flute?

There are a lot of good delrin flute maker out there. I have (now loaned out) a 6 key M&E that even with its slight imperfections (PM me if you need to know more) will reach from the D to the 3rd octave G. You could do worse.

Vincenzo di Mauro. A 6-keyed delrin flute he made is my travelling and everyday practising instrument for many a year. Great sound, nice ergonomics, zero maintenance. I keep it assembled almost all the time, no leaks so far. The tenons are corked, not lapped. Requires efforts and air to get instant response. So, may be a better choice for flowing style players, than for huff’n’puffers.

Posted by .

Great, thank you for you comments.