Where is this tune?

Re: Where is this tune?

Maybe you should check
The wind that shakes the Barley. Good luck.

It’s not surprising if you can’t find it here, since it is the air to a song, and no provision is made here for posting song airs. It has nothing to do with the well-known reel in all its many variants. As for pitch, well singers choose a pitch that suits their voice. So unless you can find the music somewhere else, you’ll just have to learn it by ear. It seems to be in F# minor, so you could play it in that key on a D whistle (there’s just the odd half-holed G#). Otherwise it would sit well on a whistle in A or one in E. Or you could transpose it to Em or Bm for a D whistle, or whatever you like.

Posted by .

Thanks @Stiamh—that is helpful to know about song airs not being on this site.

I should have clarified I know that singers can sing in any key that suites their voice, and that we can play in any key on whistles. Learning it by ear is not problem. I could probably transcribe it into traditional notation in 10mins. I just was hoping to save the energy if it was posted here and I was just missing it.

I should have said melody instead of pitch. Thanks for all your ideas about whistle keys and transpositions—wealth of info there!

Reel #116 - has nothing whatsoever to do with the song being sung by Dolores Keane in the OP’s video.

Posted by .