Tin whistle/flute lessons via the interwebs.

Tin whistle/flute lessons via the interwebs.

Hello!
My name is Jams O’Donnell!

Just kidding! It’s Chris Corbett.
I am a flute and whistle player and composer of many tunes and I have many years of teaching experience. In the light of the current covid-19 situation and the financial pressures many of us find ourselves in, I am offering lessons on a pay-what-you-can-afford basis. I don’t have any income myself at present apart from what I earn from teaching. Nevertheless, I realise that many people have been hit financially by the pandemic, hence the offer.
Feel free to ask any questions and message me if you are interested.

Re: Tin whistle/flute lessons via the interwebs.

Chris has been a tad modest in describing himself as having many years of teaching experience. I know Chris well and he’s forgotten to add that he plays flute and whistle (and other instruments!) to a very high standard and is a prolific composer of absolute gems of tunes. This high standard of playing and the quality of the tunes which he has composed are showcased in his "Out Of Thin Air" album which he brought out several years ago. If you want to get some idea of the calibre of player you’d be learning from, go to https://music.apple.com/au/album/out-of-thin-air/326824822 and listen to the samples. Track listing and sleeve notes on thesession at https://thesession.org/recordings/3157. (NB In the 11 years since I listed Chris’ recording, most of the links have withered, as is the way these things go…)

I don’t have any pecuniary interest, by the way. Just adding my endorsement, for what it’s worth, of a great player and a good companion with whom I’ve had many’s a tune over the years and from whom I myself have learned a lot…

Thanks Aidan!
You’re very kind!

I second Aidan’s comments - and having now listened to some of your reccordings on Soundcloud, I also third them.

Thanks CreadurMawnOrganig. Have we met?

We have met many times, in London and in Milltown. I’m the mandolin player that answers to the name of Dave. I’ve lived in deepest Mid Wales for the last 14 years, which is why our paths haven’t crossed in a while (I think the last time might have been at a gig by mandolin players Kevin McLeod and Dan Beimborn in Lewisham over 10 years ago).

Weren’t you at a session in the Lamb, Holloway Road a year or eighteen months ago?

Yes, I was - it would have been late April. I’d forgotten you were there! It was a big session that night, with a lot of faces I hadn’t seen in a long time. We might well have seen each other more recently than 10 years ago before that as well - all the years seem to blur into one these days.

I see that one of the prolific tune transcribers here, Nfldwhistler, has taken the time to set out a few of your tunes, Chris…

"I’m the mandolin player that answers to the name of Dave."
Did not see that one coming. CMO, is your name not Peat?
Goes to show you just never know anything for sure. There is always something to learn.
Dave it is!

Posted by .