Fleadh Nua 2002 - May 23-27 ???

Fleadh Nua 2002 - May 23-27 ???

If the stars align correctly and if I can get some time off from work I may try to go to the FN 2002 in Ennis County Clare at the end of May and I wondered if anyone knows anything (accomodations, pubs, venues, sessions, tickets, etc.) about it? I have taken a quick lookat the web site fleadhnua.com but it is very general in its descriptions and information. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated!
Happy Easter to all!
Play on!
Bob “The Hitman”

Re: Fleadh Nua 2002 - May 23-27 ???

I quite liked Ennis. I stayed in Corofin at the Rent-an-Irish-Cottage places, but there’s plenty of places to stay in town if you book early enough. The hostel I heard was nice enough. Be sure to check out Custy’s. There’s sessions everywhere. They can tell you which one might work for you best at Custy’s.

Zina

Has any of you ever been to the Cuckoo Fleadh, Kinvara?

We stayed at Gort Na Mblath, at the B&B of Natalie Crowe. She is very knowledgable and very willing to help you find exactly what you want ot do. She knows many musicians, and called around for us to help us find sessions–we were there in the off-season. She sat with us and had maps and photos of the areas we wanted to see–really helped make our trip even more wonderful. And…she had the best breakfast we had the whole trip…if you want more information, you can e-mail me at cdkrueger50@yahoo.com

As has already been said Fleadh Nua in Ennis has many traditional sessions. Two worth looking out for are the opening session at 1.00pm on Friday in the Old Ground Hotel and the Cyber session (this goes out on the Internet) on Friday night in the Templegate Hotel. There’s also an opportunity for musicians wishing to hone up their skills at Saturday’s workshops on most traditional instruments. I’ve been told by one of the Fleadh Nua committee that some very interesting people are being lined up as tutors and names will shortly be added to the site (www.fleadhnua.com) - keep watching this space!!

Hi Micheleq,

I was at the Cuckoo Fleadh for the last two years, and in my opinion it’s one of the best festivals of the season. I stayed in Johnson’s Hostel both times, which open especially for the occasion - they have camping as well. Every pub in Kinvara has sessions and all the great musicians from Galway city and Clare always come down for the craic. Winkle’s usually has set dancing, concerts and sessions all hours of the day and night, as well as the Ould Plaid Shawl, the restaurant on the docks (I forget the name) and several other pubs. There’s camping on the docks, and near the old castle as well. If you go - enjoy! It’s my favourite festival.

Cara

On my last two stays at Ennis (last one in November for the 4-day pub trad festival, I stayed in the Queens Hotel. Not de luxe by any means but central, central, central. Cruises bar is on the premises, Kieran’s pub across the road (sessions nightly), Custy’s is 10 paces away, The Knotted Cord is 3 minutes up the road and the Old Ground is 10 minutes away. You can go everywhere on foot (no drink driving problems). The Old Ground and the Templegate are certainly more up-market, but again more expensive. Eating out? I recommend Sizzlers in Parnell St.

Oh gosh, what’s the name of that little takeaway cattycorner from Cruises? They have the beeeeeeest curry fries….I could’ve eaten those for every meal and loved it. There’s one of those takeaways in Corofin, too.

We had a really nice dinner in Cruises Restaurant, quite pricey, but very worth it, it was lovely.

The hostel, by the way, is between the Queen’s and the library. The library is a good place to get internet access for free, too.

Zina

Thanks for all the suggestions!!!
It sounds like the craic is mighty in Ennis Town at the end of May and hopefully the folks at the day job will cooperate by providing a work respite. Hopfully I will get a chance to raise a jar or two on behalf of the helpful folk at the thesession.org and maybe even join a chune as well in one of the session spots mentioned.

Play on!

Bob “The Hitman”

hi michele,

in regards to the cuckoo fleadh - all the sessions are open, it is very easy to find a big welcoming session to play in. i had some lovely tunes there two years ago with charlie harris, maire o’keefe, eilis & gerry (fiddle) o’connor, garry o briain, desi adams, and many others. it’s great fun!

cara