split-screen video editors

split-screen video editors

Can anyone say what video editing software packages are being used to create the multi-tiled, split-screen videos like the ones OAIM and others put out?

Re: split-screen video editors

If you’re in the MacOS world, you can do it with iMovie. In iMovie, you can only have two clips on the screen at once, but you can combine videos two at a time as "picture in picture", and then export that as a video, re-import, and add one more clip at a time until you have what you want. Not necessarily the most efficient way to go about it, but it’s free if you have a MacOS machine. There are obviously more powerful video editors out there, but most will cost you at least some money, if not a lot of money. Can’t help you in the Windows or Linux worlds off the top of my head.

OpenShot is free, but I think most on social media are done with the Acapella phone app.

Thanks Pete. Movavi for Windows uses overlays to do what iMovie can do, (and probably a bit more.) But the key thing you mentioned was saving and re-importing video clips. Using that technique in Movavi we could stack two three-screen clips and catch all six of our band members. Such a simple thing but I guess I was in one-track thinking mode! Thanks again. 🙂

Aren’t most people using Acapella, the phone app?

It depends on the sort of definition you want.

I’ve been using iMovie, mainly because I use a MacBook Pro and so it’s free. It took a bit of time to learn the tricks (plenty of advice on Youtube). I’ve been using it to make multiple image videos. See here:
https://youtu.be/EjzM6K91Am4

or
https://youtu.be/udjoNObUy0U (shameless bit of self-promotion).

I make side by side videos and then, if necessary, I combine those two movies, top and bottom. You have to be aware of which bits of the images are going to get cropped. If I wanted to combine two side by side videos side by side I’d need to be particularly careful about body placement in the four movies, otherwise one (or more) of me could easily end up being cropped in half. (I have a template I hang over the screen and check I fit in QuickTime.)

I did try the picture in picture feature but found after multiple iterations the sound was out of sync with the first videos. Oh, and you have to do the synching by hand, as it were. I did ponder about recording the whole thing in Logic and then filming video along to the recording. That way I could sync the videos rather than the audio and the combine the result with the Logic audio, muting the iMovie generated audio.

Nice work DonaldK! I could tolerate a video not in HD but not cell phone audio quality.. We use a technique similar to that described in your last paragraph. Goes like this: (1) acquire audio tracks, process and mixdown with DAW to produce a master. (2) Each performer is videoed with their own device while listening to the master. (3) Video tracks are imported into Movavi and the audios muted. (4) The master audio is imported and synced in Movavi to the video.

I was never able to get more than three spit-screens in Movavi until Pete pointed out the create-re-import trick.
BTW, Movavi allows you slide the video from side-to-side within the frame so body position is not that critical, eliminating the "cropping" problem you refer to.

Could very easily do a multi-track mosaic video in Sony Vegas on Windows as well.

Aye, what I didn’t mention was I was recording through a desk into the laptop for a bit of EQ and stuff. But the audio is nothing like what I can get in Logic.
And I do think a bit of choreography is important if you’re making multiscreen videos.

Movavi sounds good, Bill. It’s just that I don’t think my small brain could cope with getting to grips with yet another program. But, hey ho, the way things are going (which is very slowly) I might have the time.

If you are using a Mac, you can do it in iMovie. A simple split screen or picture-in-picture with two clips is straightforward to do. More than two simultaneous clips and it gets very slow and laborious, since you have to export and re-import repeatedly - but the end result is good.

For my own recordings, I have simultaneously recorded video using PhotoBooth (the MacOS native camera software, which also does video) and the sound using Audacity, but I actually found the sound recording in PhotoBooth was every bit as good as Audacity. iMovie itself does not have much in the way of sound adjustment, but it allows you to detach the audio file, which can then be exported to Audacity or the DAW of your choice to add EQ, effects etc..

I used Openshot twice, it’s free, open source, simple and intuitive

Posted by .

I’ve also started playing with DaVinci Resolve, which is powerful and free. It allows you to have as many videos on the screen as you want.