Things getting moving again (UK and elsewhere?)

Things getting moving again (UK and elsewhere?)

Met Anya at her Polish café in Bowman Street, Govanhill, Glasgow. Café now open again - with social distancing. She says she hopes to resume Friday fortnightly open mike sessions soon. Are Scottish sessions re-starting - and at places all over the world? Hoping so.

Re: Things getting moving again (UK and elsewhere?)

I’ve been aware of one or two slightly non guidance aligned Trad Irish Sessions occurring already these last two or three weeks. Should be back officially soon; next few weeks.

As far as pubs are concerned, it won’t be up to the musicians, it will be up to the pub licensees, and whether or not musicians will be willing to go out and take the risk remains to be seen, assuming they will be welcomed in the first place.

Posted by .

"The New Normal" isn’t very conducive as far as sessions are concerned.

Some publicans may allow them in due course but I’m not sure if I’d want to go to certain premises and/or sessions if they are being run on the same basis as before. Not in the immediate future, anyway.

I was in Dunbar for a visit last weekend and almost entered a certain pub but I noticed that there were several people "milling about" and someone had just switched on the juke box. So, I about turned and went somewhere quieter.

The majority of places I’ve seen have been well run though and, on that basis, I don’t expect them to encourage live music for some time yet. It’s a shame but necessary for the time being.

It is possible that some small sessions without audiences/punters could be possible in unused lounges or larger rooms but that would be up to the licensee as Kenny says. However, at this time, space is at a premium and I reckon accommodating "paying" drinkers rather than musicians would be the priority.

We’ve been told by the publican that we’ll be welcome if we restart our local Monday night session. But, as Kenny pointed out, with the majority older rather than younger and living in some isolation (whether for medical reasons or geography), a lot of us are not ready to venture out.
Maybe in another month I’ll feel differently but I don’t know if I’d enjoy playing music for three hours with a mask on.

Don’t see an end in sight here in the states. No national leadership.. too many people thinking their "rights" are being violated if they’re asked to wear masks or even admit the virus is real. If we’d done as New Zealand, closed down for a month and followed expert advice, it would be over. As is, we’re in for a long Winter with only the hope of a vaccine to bring comfort.

I know of one place in the Northeastern US with a functional session, but aside from that I’ve been getting together with small groups of folks where we can sit outside and far apart. Not quite a kitchen racket…a yard racket?

As of July 2020, not here in Southern California. All pubs are closed after being open briefly (but no music allowed) for a few weeks before the case numbers spiked and everything was closed again. We’re going to test having a socially distanced session in large public open air gazebo in a park next week, the first one we’ve attempted since March.

We have been playing outside since that start of June at a public park, distanced and with masks. Another session.about 45 minutes away rotates between peoples yards. Can’t see going back inside and playing anytime soon.

No public sessions for myself anytime soon. I’m in Northern California and my county (Butte) was put on a 72 hour "watch list" yesterday. Positive cases and hospitalisations are increasing at a rate which exceeds where we are supposed to be to allow indoor activities. Positivity % is on the cusp { <8% }. We should know on Saturday
if the City of Chico will roll-back to closing indoor activities.

The state is publishing it’s numbers by county. Though there is apparently a significant difference (in my region of the state) between the Central Valley vs. mountain areas. Please don’t go there because I said this but
I imagine there are a few sessions "out in the frontier".
Stay safe & keep informed.
Ben

Posted by .

Just learned that the Scots Fiddle Festival in November has been cancelled. Not a session in itself , of course, but always a great event and there are usually informal sessions over the weekend.
🙁

Back gardens for us. Suggested asking local pub if we could play in often empty beer garden but whistler said couldn’t in case track and trace meant he couldn’t go on Family holiday in August.

JohnnyJay : yes space for soc. distancing key problem. Unless you’re on penny whistle, flute, pipes, you can wear a facemask I reckon. All the best in these risky times…

How about community and church halls for sessions - on a temporary basis, they’re spacious and you could have hand sanitizer at the door and a "bouncer" to let in only 3 at a time. Clearly the church /comm. hall would need a payment but since churches haven’t been passing round the bag on Sundays, they’d prob. be glad of the cash (no booze tho’). The community hall in Holm, Orkney is an enterprising hall, it has an-going book sale with donated books, I never visited it but annoyed the Frasers, neighbours in Kirkwall, by leaving a pile of c 70 books on their doorstep a week or so before I left Kirkwall. TOO MUCH OF A GOOD THING and I don’t the weather was up to much in Feb, 2017. (They had asked for donations for their pal to take by car to Holm).

What do members think, please?

In lots of church and community halls there is often a piano, eg Stromness community hall, Orkney. It is quite a popular item, and no doubt gets visiting keyboard players during the Folk Festival based in that town - obviously cancelled 2020.

Any indoor setting for a session is a risky idea right now, some of the most tragic community outbreaks have been choirs in church halls. Roll the piano into the church courtyard and play outside.

Agree; being indoors and breathing "shared air" for an extended period is the major risk, so church and community halls aren’t necessarily a better option. It also puts a burden of extra cleaning and disinfecting afterwards on the venue, so the they may not be very receptive unless you already have connections.

Ad-hoc outdoor sessions in local parks are happening here and there in my area (Pacific Northwest), at least until the weather changes in the Fall. After that, who knows. Maybe just by-invitation house sessions with small trusted groups until there’s a vaccine. I don’t see pub sessions returning to my area for another 6 months to a year, if then. They’re not even open for normal capacity yet, and live music is banned.

Have been to some outdoor ‘mainly English’ sessions. Audibility not bad for 6 people spaced 2m round a circle - don’t get the blend of sound like indoors but hearing individual instruments seems easier sometimes, from location.

No-one is hopeful about the options after the summer. Those in contact with the pubs don’t expect indoor sessions in the foreseeable future and village halls apparently have pages of guidance, with wind instruments and singing definitely out. UK gov. is funding research on aerosol from wind instruments and singers but the results are not expected until the autumn.

Michael Eakin : good plan : roll the piano outside the hall and with soc. distanced others, vamp away!

Sorry Michael, yr surname’s Eskin?

Yes, Eskin.

The monthly session in Geneva resumed at the end of June, so there have been 2 so far, but I don’t feel ready for it, I live in a small hamlet about an hour to an hour-and-a-half drive away over the border in France, and the idea of sitting in a pub in a big city has no appeal at the moment. Limited just now to band-practices, and just a few outdoor performances in the pipeline (one already done, at the local Sunday market). I’m certainly missing sessions, but not enough to risk it.

Some of my pals in Asturias have started sessions again. Just 4 or 5 musicians, three different pubs. Some of my fellow sessioneers in Scotland have also started having a wee session, very low key. In Helsinki, the weekly session restarted a few weeks ago, I believe.

Sessions are out of the question for me for the time being. I really wanna go but I’m not going to.

Here in our wonderful town, Asheville, in what’s now becoming a third world country, the prospects of starting back sessions this year seem slim. Despite all the winning, we have become the epicenter of the virus and with schools being forced to reopen in many states, we’re about to have an explosion of cases. Our Coronavirus task has spent more time blaming the Chinese for "the Hong Kong Flu" than doing anything to control it here.

There are predictions that half the pubs in our country may never reopen. It’s sad.