Yeeeeeooooooowwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!

Yeeeeeooooooowwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!

Hello, I was wondering if anybody knew the origin of the above phrase, and similar exclamations which can be heard at sessions? Is it an established part of the session, or a relatively recent phenomena? I’d also like to know what members think of the practice in general; a bit of fun, or a distraction from the music?

Re: Yeeeeeooooooowwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!

In Scotland, it’s more like "Heuch" pronounced "Heeeeuch!"

These are usually expressions used by the punters as opposed to the musicians who are more likely to say something like "Hup" or "Hep" while changing into another tune tune, key, or both.

In Co. Leitrim its Powie Owie, a howl of approval.

I remember when I first heard the (now infamous) session recording from Gort in 1991 (with Kevin Crawford, Padraig MacDonnachada, Tony Linane, among others). There are a couple of times when punters start yelling. One is a good old "Yeeee haaaawwwww", which could have come right out of Texas, and another was a "Weeee hoooo!, Weee hoo hoooo!". I found those to be kind of strange and out of place, but was surprised to learn that it was just punters getting in on the fun, and not some yank tourists making a spectacle of themselves. 😉

Music can be ineffably stimulating and evocative. All of the various nonsensical expressions that we make are just that ーexpressions. I would say that in context, this is a simple expression of pleasure, delight, thrill, or joy. You feel so good, you can’t help but throw out a yelp or a shout. Much like laughter when you’re humored, crying when you’re sad, sighing when you’re relieved, roaring when your angry, or yelling when you’re afraid.

When it comes to the session “hollar” or “woot”, I’ve heard expressions like these in very many different context. We’re noisy creatures.

If the word is that long and uttered very loudly, it would not, for me, be welcome at a session, certainly not if shouted several times during the evening.

HOY!

Here in Norway it would be;
"Høy!" "Høøøy!" or "Hepp!"

Posted by .

Just don’t start clapping along. Please and thank you.

As long as it is an expression of pleasure (from player or listener) not a listener inserting themselves into the thing - like "get in the hole ball" at golf, or "you’re a funny guy" at comedy club, or wherever they try to enforce their personality.

or, "Give It The Big Thing Julia"!!!

The origin of this in sessions was in 1955 when a piano accordionist, getting up unsteadily to go to the bar, accidentally let the instrument fall onto a fluter’s foot. A nearby drinker, not a man of deep musical taste, thought the exclamation was an integral part of the melody, and told all his friends how they might themselves add worth to similar nights, without the tedium of learning an instrument.

It goes much further back than 1955 I’m afraid. Palaeontologists recently discovered a set of Neanderthal cave paintings in Connemara dating from 80,000 years ago which depict a group of these hominids dancing to someone playing what appears to be a set of Neanderthal pipes. There is a speech bubble coming from the mouth of one of the creatures which says a word in Ancient Neanderthal Irish script, which can be translated as Yeeeeeooooooowwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!

It comes from cats sitting behind a rocking chair not thinking of the consequences of getting their tail bent by a rocker. It can be blood curdling.

Posted by .

Haha, BrownAleMugger! I think you’re right! The ‘Weee hoo hooo’ shout was obviously someone from Clare sneaking a few miles into Co. Galway and letting it rip! For all I know, there was a match on the tube during the session!

I’ve been known to give an occasional "woo!" Or a "yip!" At a session, only as a punter though.

Been at a couple of gigs where some of our younger bands have tried to TELL the audience how to "Heeuuuccchhh!" - as one old curmudgeon said - "We don’t need to be told how to Heeuucchh - we’ll do it if or when the music merits it" … or words to that effect!