Videos of Fiddle instruction like a master class?

Videos of Fiddle instruction like a master class?

I came across this blog post and then watched some of the reference video of a cellist giving an instructional master class review of a young highly accomplished cellist. https://helen.blog/2020/07/what-software-teams-can-learn-from-music-masterclasses/

It was super interesting, though I have no interest in cello nor classical music. But it did get me wondering if anyone knows of anything like this for fiddling Irish tunes (or possibly any ITM)?

Though probably not true to the traditional way of learning, it seems interesting.

Re: Videos of Fiddle instruction like a master class?

I was going to link to the same Frankie Gavin video but irishmuse beat me too it. I have not come across anything similar but they might well be out there.

"… probably not true to the traditional way of learning …"

I think it is traditional to use whatever methods are available and effective. Traditional music summer schools were not traditional when they began in the 1970s*, nor sessions before the 1950s. The important thing is the end result, not how you achieve it - especially at the present time, when ‘traditional’ methods are not available to us.

*Willie Clancy Summer School began in 1973 - I don’t know whether anything similar already existed before that.

There’s this DVD by Kevin Burke
"Irish Fiddle Mastering the Art Kevin Burke"

It’s nominally masterclass format but if I remember rightly, Kevin talks, the student plays a bit, then Kevin carries on from where he stopped!

Thanks Tom, that’s what I was looking for.

Creadur, that ‘s a very good point!

Online tutorials and livestreams weren’t available in the 50s either. 🙂

The Kevin Burke Masterclass is well worth hunting down. I found it very instructional and helpful.