Mike Donaghy RIP

Mike Donaghy RIP

I am sad to report the premature death of Mike Donaghy, who died in London last Thursday after suffering a brain hemorrhage the previous Sunday. Mike was a player of flute and bodhran, a poet, an entertaining conversationalist and a very well-liked man. He was from Chicago but had been living in London for the past 20 years.

If you knew him or his family, contact me via the session for an address to send condolences. I will post details of the funeral as soon as I get them.

Steve

Re: Mike Donaghy RIP

Spike, we will miss you.

Posted by .

Re: Mike Donaghy RIP

Hi

I’m a poet who just found this site by googling the name of my darling friend Michael. It’s so nice to see lovely things written about him here by someone from a different area of his life. He loved music, it was as central to him as poetry - in fact he had all sorts of theories about the connections between music and language, and patterns in language, which of course poetry is made of. He played with great happiness with people he loved.

His funeral is tomorrow, family only, but there will be a memorial service at some point. No details as yet. I’m sure if anyone contacted the funeral home they cold be kept up to date on this matter.

There is also a trust fund being set up, in lieu of flowers, for his 8-year-old son Ruairi. Cheques can be sent (& made payable) to Green Endings, 141 Fortess Rd, London NW5.

There will also at some point - if any of you are also into poetry - be some sort of memorial reading or poetry event, I’m sure; everyone seems quite agreed on that point.

Spike IS badly missed.

Katy

Posted by .