What kind of ABC manager should I use?

What kind of ABC manager should I use?

Hi,

I’d like to gather all my abc tunes (including non Irish and self composed tunes) and be able to listen/modify/set/add/filter/share them. But how would you do this?

Also, it’s 2020 now, isn’t there any website dedicated to share ABC Nordic/Breton/Balfolk/… music? That seems weird to me. All I can find is some incomplete tunebooks or non-participatory websites.

If I had the skill to create a more international ‘The Session’ website I would do it right now but saddly I don’t.

So, if you guys play tunes from other countries, how do you manage to store them in your tunebook?
And do you think ‘The Session’ website concept and architecture could eventually be used for other trad music?

Re: What kind of ABC manager should I use?

Scandinavian tunes - http://www.folkwiki.se/

First and foremost, I store tunes in my brain. If needed, I write down the ABC and keep that in a file.

Tunebook for iPad and abcExplorer for Windows PC.

@jeff_lindqvist
I’ve ssen folkwiki.se but I can’t read Swedish and the database is incomplete. It’s sad there is no website where you can submit the missing tunes.

I also try to use my brain but remembering 600 tunes with their names is just too much for me.
I could write/copy the ABC’s in a file but it wouldn’t be handy at all, I want to be able to listen/set/filter/display them as well.

@Andy Hornby
I don’t have any Apple devices. I do have a pc but it’s not really handy because it only stays at home. What I’m looking for is probably an android app or a website like the session.
I’ve tried TradMusicain for Android (wich synchronises with The Session Tunebook) but it seems I can’t add my own tunes in it easily.

Hmm, any tune database is likely to be incomplete, and you add what is missing.

Rewind some +20 years. I saved everything in aptly named .abc files on the computer. When I wanted to check something, I opened AbcMus and played the tune (or just read the code). What if I wanted to share something? I copypasted the tune and emailed it in plain text.

This is not an ABC manager, but a big collection of Scandinavian dance music which might interest you. My Swedish is not strong but among other things, you can find tunes by name, or by an ABC snippet that you type in, or you can view a list of tunes with the first few notes, or hear an mp3. You can also request a tune from someone else on the site, if it’s not already listed.

TradMusician works fine for me. I load my abc files into a dedicated folder in the phone via usb connection. That folder needs to be set as “root folder” in TradMusician’s setting menu. As far as I can see the abc folder has to be on the phone; it doesn’t seem to be possible to link to it on an sd card.

You could try the app À La Mode.
It’s quite flexible: You can import files or use the editor to type your own abc’s. Tunes can be tagged, sorted by type or key, tune types can be added, you can create sets etc…
Also, the creator of the app is very open to any suggestions for improvement.

@stringy
What you are describing is what I’m looking for!
But by the app “à la mode” do you mean TradMusician? Because I didn’t see how to write my own abc’s, add new types, tagg tunes etc

Thank you for the link stringy! Strange name for that kind of app. I could only find fashion related apps with that keyword haha.