New audio features in Zoom for Windows and Mac, version 5.2.2, released 9/1/2020

New audio features in Zoom for Windows and Mac, version 5.2.2, released 9/1/2020

High Fidelity Audio mode
This option in Advanced Audio enhances “Original Audio” mode, allowing for disabling echo cancellation & post-processing, while raising audio codec quality to 48Khz, 96Kbps mono/192kbps stereo for professional audio transmission in music education and performance applications. Professional audio interface, microphone, and headphones required.

Re: New audio features in Zoom for Windows and Mac, version 5.2.2, released 9/1/2020

Great news!

Posted by .

Re: New audio features in Zoom for Windows and Mac, version 5.2.2, released 9/1/2020

While this may deliver better quality transmission… I presume that the latency issues remain to render play along (one to one or many to many) unworkable?

There is still no solution capable of supporting a multi-party online session?

Posted by .

For as long as electrons continue to move at the speed of light there will always be latency thus negating any meaningful use of this software and ones like it for musicians wishing to play live on line.

The update is only about new audio quality options in Zoom, not latency. Zoom is not intended to be a low latency platform.

There are several other platforms out there for low latency group play, and more will be available soon. All require low latency audio hardware, Ethernet network connections, with latency higher at longer distances because of both speed of light limitations and internet routing paths. Can’t get around the physics.

I’ve used JamKazam a fair bit and am currently beta testing a new low latency group play platform. I disagree with Yhaal House, it’s absolutely possible to have a very useful and satisfying experience with these new platforms if everyone has the correct hardware setup and the players are 500-1000 miles apart. Beyond that, the latencies get challenging, but I’ve played with others 2000 miles away with 50 ms latency. Challenging, but possible. Generally <20 ms with more local players.

There have been several other updates since January 2020: as I found out last week when I suddenly started getting error messages when trying to open Zoom (Windows 10 laptop): in the end I had to uninstall and re-install it: everything now in different places, but all working fine.
Also there are warnings about updating various features of the program THIS month, especially use of personal meeting codes