Abell Whistle? - Northern Ireland

Abell Whistle? - Northern Ireland

Anyone got an Abell whistle in D they would like to sell , or let me have a go on?

I would like to try before I buy since they are so dear.
I live in Belfast but could travel a bit.

Thanks
Kess

Posted by .

Re: Abell Whistle? - Northern Ireland

If it’s of any help, I have a Chris Abell wooden head joint for my silver C Boehme flute. I was given about six wooden headjoints to sample at leisure in my home, all by eminent makers, and the Abell was a clear favorite. I’ve owned and actively used it for over six years. People who know nothing about flute comment on the warmth and beauty of the tone I get with it. If he can voice his whistles in like manner (and I’m guessing he can), your money will be well spent. He accepts returns, as should anyone selling it used.

Posted by .

Given that you’re in Belfast - suggest you give Roy McManus a try before you finalise. His wooden whistles are wonderful and fraction of the cost of Abell. I know five happy customers in my wide circle of friends. Also know one lady with Abell, which I’ve played (back when you could share wind instruments!), and they are unquestionably super instrument.

McManus is based in Belfast BTW.

I have an Abell, and just bought one from Roy McManus. I’d be glad to sell you my Abell (I’m in the US) but you’d be better off with the McManus in my opinion. The Abell has a pretty sterling mouthpiece, but the McManus has a nicer sound for a much better price.