New site feature: Bookmark tune settings (and more!)

New site feature: Bookmark tune settings (and more!)

I’ve just rolled out a new feature for The Session that I hope you’re going to like…

For a while now, I’ve received feedback that, while the tunebook functionality is good, maybe it would be better if you could put a specific *setting* of a tune into your tunebook.

Well, I’m afraid it’s too late to change something so fundamental about tunebooks, so I’ve added extra functionality instead. When you look at any setting of any tune, you’ll see the option to bookmark that setting (a button that says "bookmark").

Once you start bookmarking tune settings, you’ll see a new button on your member profile page: as well as the "tunebook" link and the "tune sets" link, there’s now a "bookmarks" link.

I bookmarked a couple of settings so you can see how that looks:
https://thesession.org/members/1/bookmarks

(And you can see the "bookmarks" link on my profile: https://thesession.org/members/1 )

There’s no fancy functionality associated with bookmarks—it’s simply a means of easily getting back to a tune setting that you’re interested in.

If you like, you can think of it as a "like" or "favourite", but I thought that phrasing it as a bookmark specifically highlights the usefulness of finding it again later.

Perhaps later on, if enough people use the bookmarking functionality, I can surface functionality based on the data, like ordering tune settings from most bookmarked to least bookmaked, for example. For now though, the functionality is specific to you; a way for you to keep track of specific tune settings.

One more thing…

While I think the main value of bookmarking is with tune settings, I decided that I could expand the functionality to cover just about anything on The Session. There isn’t a big obvious button like there is for tune settings, but now when you go to a recording, a session, an event, a discussion or even an individual comment, you’ll see a subtle little bookmark icon. Clicking this allows you to bookmark (or un-bookmark) that item.

Again, you’ll be able to get at those items from your bookmarks page on your member profile (and once you start bookmarking more than tune settings, you’ll see the option to filter your bookmarks by type).

So give it a whirl and see what you think.

I imagine that tunebooks will remain the primary way that people keep track of tunes, but for everyone who wanted some way of keeping track of specific settings of tunes, bookmarks are for you!

Re: New site feature: Bookmark tune settings (and more!)

This is a fantastic feature, Jeremy, and something I expect I will make much use of. Thank you.

Posted by .

This is fantastic. I was only just thinking this week how useful it would be to see which is the most popular setting of a tune and it looks like this might lead to that.

Ta!

Posted by .

Wow, I’ve wanted this feature really badly - and tadaa, there it is! Thanks Jeremy!

Pretty stellar

The best website just keeps getting better!

Thanks, Jeremy. Very useful.

Posted by .

Well done! Looking forward to using this new feature..

Posted by .

Thanks Jeremy! You made it possible to tell apart the learnt tunes and those yet to learn. I wanted that feature for ages. Excellent!

Posted by .

Yes i have to add my thanks to the growing list of appreciative members , a very helpful feature not just for myself but also for sharing, now i can simply send a link to a specific setting when passing tunes round .
Brilliant

Will, it was always possible to link to a specific setting, although it’s not very discoverable.

Whenever you see a "#" symbol in front of text about when something was posted (a tune setting, a comment, etc.), that is a direct link.

So, for example, if I click on the "#" in front of the line at the end of your comment (the line that reads "Posted by Will Evans…etc"), then the URL changes from:
https://thesession.org/discussions/45361
to
https://thesession.org/discussions/45361#comment905395
…which links to that specific comment.

The same is true of tune settings. Clicking the "#" updates the URL in your browser to the specific tune setting.

Hope that helps!

Thanks jeremy ! Sigh , its probably explained in the manual , i really should read them more often 🙂

Awesome!

Simple to use but genius, braw!!!

Oooo, I’m so excited! I’ve been wanting a feature like this for a while. Thank you, Jeremy!! <3

Would it be possible to have the "add this to a set" button show up when you’re viewing your bookmarks? That way it’s a lot quicker to pair the versions you know you like. Just a thought for future expansion of this feature.