Selling a brass high D Copeland whistle

Selling a brass high D Copeland whistle

Hello,

I have a brass high D Copeland whistle in excellent shape I am seeking to sell. I bought it in 2004 from Michael Copeland. It has the number "3796" stamped on the back. No dings. Never been dropped. Hardly been played. It comes in its original corduroy bag, also in terrific shape. I’m a fretted instrument player who had ambition to learn the whistle at one point. After having this whistle mostly sit for over a decade, it’s time to sell.

I have learned a couple of tunes on this whistle, and other true whistle players have played it as well. I have received great compliments on its playability and quality of sound. The tone is full and warm, with great presence and volume.

I’m asking $900 (USD) but will consider serious offers. Prices for this type of whistle in great condition seem to be between $800 and $1,000, looking at eBay and other online sources.

I’m new to this forum, so any assistance is welcome.
James

Re: Selling a brass high D Copeland whistle

There are two that sold recently on Ebay for $650. Where did you see sales between $800-1000?

One was forwarded by a friend. Of course, I didn’t save that link and I can’t find it now, so I’m embarrassed to have mentioned it. The other was on the Irish Flute Store site.

https://www.irishflutestore.com/search?q=copeland

The Irish Flute store entires you cite hit a high at $799, with the special exception of the silver sterling example. The low whistles are the only ones that sometimes go higher.

2 of the Copeland nickel high D’s went for $145 recently on Facebook, but that was a special deal as part of a musician’s estate, and intended for quick sale. Which it was. So that puts the range for a high D at $145-800. $600-650 is more typical. A brass low D might go for near $600 to a high of $1,100 (with $800+ being more likely). Consider eBay fees, PayPal fees, or consignment percentages (such as Reverb, or the Irish Flute store).

Thank you for the information. I’m not selling a nickel whistle, or a low D whistle, so that information, while perhaps useful to someone interested in whistle values in general, doesn’t apply here. This is a brass high D.

As I said initially, I am open to reasonable offers. The information provided by you provides ample foundation for a reasonable offer to be made by an interested party. I appreciate your help in that way.

James

Hi Jimmy,

My husband and I have been following the sell of Copeland whistles for several years. If you wait until Christmas shopping time, you will get more money. I have seen them go for $1000+ on eBay for a High Brass D. Of course, times are hard this year and that MIGHT play into the price. Also, it’s good to post when there is no competition. And… Michael Copeland usually makes 1 new whistle every year at Christmas and puts it on eBay under a relatives name.

I hope this information helps you to make a wise decision. God bless.

A few of those at the Irish Flute store were indeed brass high Ds, at the same price ($799). I believe the Irish Flute store’s consignment percentage (paid by the seller from the proceeds) is 15-20% (can’t remember & no longer shown on their site), so the seller actually receives a lower amount, compared to a direct sale. Buyers have a right of return, although I don’t know if a restock fee is charged.

The eBay seller is "windweavers"
https://www.ebay.com/fdbk/feedback_profile/thewindweavers?filter=feedback_page:All
When new whistles are offered, I only recall seeing only nickel instruments.
You could always contact them via eBay, or Michael Copeland directly through his Facebook page.

Good luck with your sale. I have a brass low D and hope for an opportunity to own a high D someday. Definitely something about a conical whistle.

Thanks for all the input. I appreciate the assistance. I thought perhaps people would look on this site in their search for a whistle, but maybe I was mistaken in that thought? Do people post items for sale here, or is this only for discussion?

The Irish Flute Store has a one week return policy. I’m not sure about a restocking fee.

I was hoping, by posting this at this time, I might catch the attention of an early Christmas shopper. Who knows…maybe I still will.

Thank you again.

> I thought perhaps people would look on this site in their search for a whistle, but maybe I was mistaken in that thought? Do people post items for sale here, or is this only for discussion?

People do post for sale items on here, though not everyone appreciates it, and some of us (not me, of course) are a highly opinionated bunch and will argue with any poster about anything.

I would guess your best avenues for an instrument like this are Chiff and Fipple, where a lot more whistlers hang out, and eBay, which will have a worldwide audience. One of the problems of posting here is that things slip off the front page fairly quickly.

Posted by .

James -

I sent you a message and I’m willing to discuss!

-Dan

Once again, thanks to everyone who helped me in this discussion. The whistle has been sold. I appreciate the assistance people were willing to give.

James