Trip to Cullenstown….and?

Trip to Cullenstown….and?

One tune sounds like Trip to Cullenstown, but the others I do not know the names. Tunes start at 1:10. I like this melodic style of tunes.
https://youtu.be/Pae4-h-c40o

Re: Trip to Cullenstown….and?

First tune is Joe Bane’s (not trip to Cullenstown) followed by the Gypsy Princess, (don’t know the names of the reels)

Posted by .

reel at 4;55 is Sheila Coyle’s

Nobody recognises "Lord MacDonald’s" ?

Posted by .

3:44 Lord Macdonald’s

Ah Kenny … old wives are allowed to recognise a tune without minding what it’s called!!

Posted by .

Kenny I do recognize Lord Mac’s now that you mention it - I just couldn’t place it first time around………..

Keys??? I just tried playing along with Fergus and quickly realized the tunes were coming out in Ab and Eb -either the recording has somehow sped up or he’s playing an accordion tuned a semitone # of concert pitch - any ideas?

He is a B/C player playing a C/C# accordion or otherwise playing in Eb.

I wonder if Fergus always plays on multiple accordions in different keys? I posted a question and video a few days ago about a trio of jigs he is playing. In that video, which were identified as The Clare Shout, Paidraigh O’Rafferty and Inis Bearachain, I hear him call out "D and A" to the keyboard player, so no doubt he is on a B/C there.

He’s playing C/C# on that clip as well. They’re technically D, G and A tunes, and he still uses those fingerings, and that’s why you’ll find that people still say D, G, A etc. even if they are playing a semitone up.

Tried to playing along on my B/C, and Jeff you are absolutely right. He is playing a C/C# box. Knackers! Now I have to run that clip through a pitch changer app to play along and learn the tunes.

As my surname is Cullen I had a look at the score Should be an uncomplicated reel for Pipes
not to much going on in the 2nd octave. Any utube versions on pipes?

Fergus is playing solo on this occasion but is surrounded by other musicians who appear to comprise a ceili band - I wonder if they all have to conform to his eccentric choice of keys when they play ensemble?

No more than other musicians adapt to other musicians who play in different keys, I’d say. I don’t think that backers spend a lot of time thinking that they’re playing in pitch-Eb etc. Most have a capo at hand and take it from there. Piano players may even use the pitch (though I doubt it). Throw any standard Irish tune in another key at any decent backer and they should be able to figure out what they have to do. Otherwise they’re in the wrong place.