Tune (and fragment) ID?

Tune (and fragment) ID?

Hi all,

I know, I just asked about a tune recently. And yes, one of the tunes this time is also a Scottish pipe tune - but the other is Irish. My apologies in advance.

Anyway, I’d first like to know the title of this nice (and probably incredibly common) pipe jig played by John Burgess in this video: https://youtu.be/0rCQ58bQc6I Looking specifically for the first tune (all four parts are there, I think). The second I think is "The Campbells Are Coming", though I didn’t discover that without confusing it with "Pay the Reckoning", which says a lot, come to think of it.

The second one is Irish, and it’s a fragment of a reel (though repeating the fragment gives you the whole A-part), at 0:46/0:51 in another video: https://youtu.be/EopvuL9T8W4 The video focuses on Brian Rooney, but I know there’s a scene where the now late Brendan Mulkere (RIP) takes the fiddle, so I’m not sure who plays the fragment, but it’s a golden sliver of a few seconds either way. It sounds quite familiar but I can put neither a second part nor a name to it. As a bonus, if anyone can make out the very first tune (unfortunately spoken over by the narrator), I’d also appreciate it.

Cheers,
Daniel

Re: Tune (and fragment) ID?

The tune fragment in the second video sounds like Anderson’s https://thesession.org/tunes/1631

Both jigs in the first clip remind me of *something*, but I can’t put my finger on what. The second one doesn’t immediately remind me of either Pay The Reckoning or The Campbells are Coming (The Burnt Old Man) - I wonder whether you might be listening to it ‘upside-down’ (i.e. hearing the phrases staring in the middle of each bar instead of at the barlines). Anyway, it’s a lovely bit of piping and, no doubt, Kenny (who posted the video on Youtube) will be able to identify the tunes at a stroke.

@CMO, I think you have it with Anderson’s. I searched a fragment in ABC here, but for some reason nothing came up. I have to say I wasn’t especially attracted to Anderson’s beforehand, but I do love the way it’s played there. Is that Rooney or Mulkere, do you know?

I don’t know the names of John D. Burgess’s tunes, but have a feeling the first jig may have been recorded by "The Battlefield Band" somewhere along the line. The second may have originally been Irish, but in squeezing it into the Highland bagpipe scale, has lost much of its’ original melody.
Brendan Mulkere played the first part of "Anderson’s" reel while trying out Brian Rooney’s fiddle in the second clip.

Posted by .

The 1st tune played by John Burgess is The Kitchen Maid, https://thesession.org/tunes/4140
The 2nd tune is The Drover Lads, or Gillun nan drobher or Bodach an Dranntan, The Grunbler.
The version he is playing here sounds like it is from The Gunn Collection,1st Published by William Gunn in 1860.

First is the Kitchen Maid. The second is The Drover Lads/Grumbling Carle, both in Scots Guards 1.

Posted by .

> The version he is playing here sounds like it is from The Gunn Collection

Not sure about that - he’s pretty much gracenote for gracenote with the Scots Guards setting, which will be Willie Ross’s - who taught John D.

Posted by .

Many thanks to Fionn and Calum for the find on these! I can certainly hear the influence from Willie Ross (at least what little I’ve heard of him) in Burgess’s playing.

And thanks to Kenny for the explanation regarding Brendan and Anderson’s, and for posting these incredible clips in the first place.

I have all John d’s albums , took a while and I had to get a record player too! Spectacular piper.
His piobaireachd playing is sublime .
I managed to get a few rare tracks on compilations as well.
Yes there is a bit of Willie Ross on you tube. Old recordings. Very different style to the heavy competition stuff we get today.

Daniel Parker :"Is that Rooney or Mulkere … ?"

That is Brendan Mulkere (who sadly left us just a few weeks ago) tuning up the fiddle and playing a fragment of a tune (Anderson’s). Brian Rooney is seated at the microphone.

The narrator sounds so detached, almost as if he were describing the curiosities of animal behavior… But the fiddle music is great and it’s inspired me to learn more of the subsequent musical careers of both these fine players. And I’m mildly curious as to the identity of the anonymous bouzouki player.

Posted by .

Daniel you were also asking what the reel is Brian Rooney is playing at the start of the second clip, before Brendan seizes the fiddle off him and starts playing Anderson’s. As you say it’s hard to hear as the narrator is talking over him, but it sounds to me like a nice setting of the Morning Star.