Barana Gabos Flute: The Cold Factor

Barana Gabos Flute: The Cold Factor

I had received an African Black wood flute in the Key of D from Barna Gabos last Spring and I live in Northern Minnesota where it gets cold in Winter. We typically will experience many below zero temperatures throughout Winter and I live off grid. I heat my house with a wood stove and my insulated walls are only 2 inches thick so, my house is always the same as it is outside - till I fire up the wood stove.

my questions is:

If I store my flute inside my house and let it experience below zero temperatures almost every night, will that degrade and ruin the instrument? Am I obliged to store it somewhere warm and safe for the Winter to protect and maintain it’s integrity?

I do have a friend near by who’s house is always above freezing everyday in Winter. I could probably store it there if I need to but, is it safe to keep in my house where it gets cold? Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

::Peace::

Dakota

Re: Barana Gabos Flute: The Cold Factor

What really makes a difference is *fast* cycling of temperature and humidity (as in <12 hours). An airtight, well insulated case would help a lot, though yes, your environment is less than ideal for a woodwind instrument.

Posted by .

Is there a flute of such that you recommend?

Thank You so much for your help.

I have a Doug Tipple.
One of the main reasons I picked it up was it’s made of PVC and can handle the Canadian elements. I wasn’t terribly expensive and makes a great play time flute and has seen all types of weather over the last year.