Cleaning Brass

Cleaning Brass

Suggestions for best, i.e. least abrasive, way to cleaning a tarnished brass whistle?

Re: Cleaning Brass

Very fine steel wool ( grade OO ).
Marin

Brasso?

I’ve read some advice to the effect that a lemon (cut, with wet side applied to the brass) is an effective cleaner. I’ve not tried it, but if anybody else has I’d be interested to know their results. I have this old sousaphone …

Posted by .

‘Clean up your buckles with Brasso,
One and three ha’pence a tin.
You can nick it or buy it from Woolworth’s
But I doubt if they’ve got any in.’

Coat with tomato ketchup, leave for a little while, then gently wash off with warm water.

You could try asking Tom and Peggy. Does anyone remember them?

Those cloth type tarnish removers have no abrasive particles at all - ?

This may not apply to cleaning something as small as a whistle, but if you’ve got a bigger brass instrument to polish, here’s something I found useful …

You can get a metal polish that comes in the form of wadding impregnated with the cleaning fluid. (‘Brasso’ in the UK). It’s very effective but completely vile: it turns black and messy and the wadding disintegrates as you use it and bits go everywhere. The thing to do is get some of that stretchy gauze tubular bandage from your pharmacist - the sort that you put on a hurt finger to keep the dressing in place. If you put some of the the polish-wadding in the tube-bandage and then rub the brass with it, the whole thing stays together as a sort of polishing pad. Zapristi!

Now I know that not many sessioneers play ITM on cornets, trombones, and the like - though I’ve seen brass bits on some pipes that could do with a good clean - but I dare say there are other fiddlers & fluters who have a euphonium or something at home that they might be tempted to bring out if it looked a bit more respectable.

Posted by .

Brasso is a liquid: the wadding is Duraglit. They also make a Duraglit wadding for silver, called Silvo. (just checked my kitchen cupboard - both in stock! I also have a multi-purpose metal polish, a cream in a tube: does for brass, silver, pewter, etc: less messy to use.)

Trish, having just asked my butler to tell the housekeeper to check with the staff below stairs, I can confirm that Brasso are also manufacturers and purveyors of the wadding-style polishing material described above (as well as the liquid you refer to, and Duraglit). I can do no better than point you towards: https://www.google.co.uk/search?sxsrf=ALeKk01Hsa-rlfq8aNLdTYkcMUI_khz4Hg:1600444778031&source=univ&tbm=isch&q=duraglit&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwicruizifPrAhWBsnEKHQBMAM0QjJkEegQIBRAB&biw=1588&bih=767

I can’t help feeling we may have drifted a little from the main purpose of the site. Maybe Jeremy would consider it excusable for contributors to discuss metal polish if they were also to post five traditional tunes … .

Posted by .

Ha-ha Bazza, and apologies if my information is out-of-date.
I’ll get back to "polish up the handle of the big front door".
I’ll do my 5 traditional tunes once I’ve learned ABC.

Yes, I agree with Jerry O’D. Easy, cheap, non damaging. Just wash with soap and water and dry well after. I have been using this method for decades and it works a treat.

@Bazza: There’s literally hundreds of threads here on instrument maintenance. I don’t see how this is out of place? If a thread doesn’t interest you, it can just be ignored. Simples.

yet there are more contra and english folk cd’s here than irish, and nobody bats an eye. none of that stuff, to me, is even vaguely like irish trad. or to my taste. I’ve more chance of buying a breton or asturian cd because that’s at least trad as i know it

the trad police are inconsistent.

Hello everyone. I restore pianos, so for the piano lock, lock plate, and hinge I use brown soap buffed out with a buffing wheel inserted on my drill.
However for smaller bits I use the finest steel wool you can get with white vinegar. Works brilliantly!

Brasso, Revere Copper Cleaner, wadding product, or Barkeeper’s Friend all work quite well if used as directed. Very fine grade steel wool may still scratch. If you need to use a physical abrasive, I would use a fine grade Scotch-Brite pad. Worked in the copper and brass industry for 41 years in quality/customer relations.