1966 clip of Bill O’Herlihy "playing" an unusual fiddle

Re: 1966 clip of Bill O’Herlihy "playing" an unusual fiddle

I always thought Irish trad music was a bit square.

Gotta be honest, I like it.

So do I. I was just trying to be witty.
But wasn’t.

Oh my god that was so funny. The very end of that video had me cracking up.

That was quite nice.

Where’s that fiddle now?!

That was great, it almost made me like ‘The Washerwoman’! I wonder if the Dunne family were related to ‘Pecker’ ?

I believe they’re related to our own Will Evans, are they not? Or am I imagining that?

I restored a fiddle somewhat like that a few years ago. I thought it would just be gluing a couple of open seams but, when I started working on it, it just sort of disintegrated into its component parts, so old and brittle was the glue. So I had to do a complete rebuild.

As I remember it, the back was mahogany and the sides were beech - not the usual materials for a fiddle. The end face (where the tailpiece was attached), however, was flamed maple, the standard material for violin family instruments - it is probable that this piece was a scrap salvaged from a violin maker’s workshop. To add to the interest, I noticed, on the interior face of this piece of wood, some writing in pencil. On close inspection, I managed to decipher it as a list containing the words ‘Tobacco, Sugar, Tea’…

The reconstructed violin sounded, er, like a box (not as good as the one in this video) and was very awkward to hold.

CMO: I have a four string cigar box guitar with f holes (and a P90 pickup) that, not surprisingly, acoustically sounds like a box. So I know exactly what you mean!
Made by James Neilson, tuned DGBE and plugged in my Vox Mini 3 G2 battery or mains amp, it sounds rounder and, among other applications, very good for backing trad music, especially outdoors e.g. Morris danceouts.
Would look great playing with your main and his box in the film!!!

The lady shape of a stringed instrument didn’t matter to Bo Diddley, either! Reminds me of his guitar.