Identify this march please ?

Identify this march please ?

I woke up with this fragment of a tune going around in my head - I’m convinced it’s a Highland pipe march but it starts like this - its all i can remember.
key A major - all c’s and f’s #
ABcedBcA2|cefecaecB2

Re: Identify this march please ?

I don’t read abc that well, and not much of a march but could it be Hector The Hero?

Thanks Alistair but no, I play Hector the Hero and its not that!

Your first bar is very close to "Lochanside" but in "A" instead of "D".

Posted by .

thanks Kenny and Nigel, but I actually found it with Tunefinder [first time I ever got it to work for me!] and its the Atholl and Breadalbane Gathering - I think I might have heard it years ago on a Boys of the Lough album?

A>B | c4 c>ed>B | c2 A2 A2 c>e | f3 e c2 a>e | c2 B2 B2

So it is. Huh.

Nigel, found it listed on B.O.T.L. III in a set along with The Cameron Highlanders and The Balkan Hills. Unfortunately my vinyl copy is long gone, if anyone has an audio of it I’d love to hear it again properly!

I just added a 2nd setting, in the correct 2/4 time signature, with the "pointing" (dotted notes and cut notes) that are done when the tune is played as intended, as a 2/4 march. I also put the repeats in correctly.

https://thesession.org/tunes/13841#setting39104

Sorry I had to split the second beat of Bars 2 and 6 of the first part because if I link them (as they should be) the ABC throws the cut dash to the wrong side of the note "c". The ABC evidently isn’t programmed to understand that the dash always points towards the dotted note that it’s paired with.

thanks Richard!

David, yes I heard John McCann playing it a couple of weeks back, must have stuck in my head without me realizing it - more likely than hearing it on the Boys of the Lough vinyl 30+ years ago!

With me just now it’s An Comhra Donn thanks to that recent fiddle thread. The name meant nothing to me but the first few seconds of it from Chieftains 1 brought the tune back.