Singing lessons

Singing lessons

Long shot here as it’s only tangentially related.

I’m looking for an online singing teacher for me and my seven year old daughter.

She’s interested in singing lessons and her online music class in school is kind of meh (and they’re flexible for us doing something different).

I am interesting in improving my ability to lilt trad Irish tunes. I’ve been working on the syllable vocalization, but I am right shite for any kind of singing pitch.

She’d be pretty excited about doing lessons together so we thought we’d see if we could combine it!

Any ideas from year ole trad Irish amigos?

Re: Singing lessons

One of many options would be the OAIM (Google will soon find it).

Posted by .

I’d look for local teachers, most of whom will be teaching online anyway. As always I recommend finding someone who teaches using Kodály/sol-fa techniques.

> I am right shite for any kind of singing pitch

As someone with the same problem, I could never quite understand why singing teachers didn’t put the same emphasis on this that I did, until I learnt that pitching is largely about your command of technique, so the important thing is to build technique first and let comfort with audiating pitch come with time.

Posted by .

I’ve just started taking singing lessons myself, after many years of singing and playing semi-professionally. I’m still just getting started but it’s already been pretty helpful with a few of the gaps in my self-taught know-how. One of the things I wanted to work on specifically was improving my pitch accuracy, since one of my (non-trad) gigs has me working off sheet music pretty often, which is not my strong suit (I can read music for the instruments I play well enough, but for voice I struggle quite a bit) and we spend about half of each lesson working on fundamentals to improve my breathing and tone, and the other half working on scales and intervals to improve my ear.

I think the Online Academy of Irish Music may have some good options, or turn to google and look for local voice teachers, or if you have a nearby college, there may be teachers or postgrad students looking to give lessons for a reasonable cost, but whatever you find, definitely talk to them about the kinds of things you’re looking to learn and the context and see if they’re able to tailor lessons to your interest in traditional Irish song and tunes.

If you have access to a keyboard, even a fairly cheap one, practicing matching scales and tunes against that can be a big help, most voice teachers will probably suggest you get one to work with at home (I use my harp, because I’m more used to it than a piano, but that’s a whole different rabbit hole to go down).