Halloween music

Halloween music

Hi

I am hoping to build on my whistling repertoire and also of course to kickstart a discussion on the aforementioned topic. Please excuse my ignorance and feel free to move this if the subject is already covered somewhere else here. My repertoire is made up of the following:

The Halloween Jig (lively tune, and for me fun to play at a brisk pace)

The Haunted House (Probably the most instantly recognised piece when I play it in public)

The Whistler at The Wake (love this tune, people will always look at me as if I really know my stuff
when I play this preceded by the aforementioned Vincent Broderick classic plus I also think the story behind it’s composition is gas)

The Lilting Banshee (One of the few tunes that I learned by ear and I keep coming up with different and fun variations of it)

The Banshee Reel (Should be a staple of every school whistle curriculum along with Merry Mary in my view -but what do I know. It is simple to learn and really does seem to have an elusive and long lasting appeal- again in my view)

The Pumpkin’s Fancy(I saved my personal favourite for last- been practicing it almost religiously for a year now and still need more time (: Definitely the most fun and ‘must have‘ one for me

I plan to learn The Old Flail(jig- another ‘must have’) , The Witches Coven (reel, creepy haha), The Halloween Reel (not sure I know how this one goes yet but it will be fun I know it), plus maybe one or two more during the next four weeks(again, open to and hoping for recommendations here). I aim to work hard in preparation for this festive event ( :

Thanks

Re: Halloween music

Old Hag you have Killed Me - Hag at the Churn - King of the Fairies - The Hag’s Purse - Si Bheg Si Mhor - all appropriate for Samhain! A mate used to play a really eerie whistle tune, dont remember the exact title but it translated into English something like ‘Dance of the Pookas’

Thanks guys, these tunes are looking really tasty! I actually forgot about fairy music in my post- I have king of the Fairies, si bheag si mhor and also I find The Fairies (hornpipe) sounds decidedly creepy when I play it at a slow to medium pace

Listening to The Jig of the Dead now haha

If you’re looking for spooky-sounding tunes and not just Halloween-appropriate titles, I think "Jump at the Sun" by accordionist John Kirkpatrick is the spookiest-sounding tune I’ve ever played:
https://thesession.org/tunes/736

Not strictly Irish, but in the zone. I see from the tune page that an alternate name is "Fairies on Acid" so I suppose that gets closer to a Halloween theme!

The Harvest Home is not creepy, but it is seasonal.

A very strong second for the Pumpherston Hornpipe. Perfect for the Halloween season.

We also play a set that we call "the spooky set," consists of Cleveland Park, Jump at the Sun, Banks of the Allan.

https://thesession.org/members/90709/sets/1377

Port na Bpucai - that’s the one I was trying to remember - Song of the Pookas. Any Irish speakers explain the significance of the capital B put in front of some words?

thanks Lisa not really sure I have a grasp of it yet - though I should have said lower case ‘b’ not capital.

I like "It Was a Magic Mist That Put Me Astray One Night" played at a slower tempo. Very atmospheric on the harp.

The thing to realise is that Irish and Scots Gaelic (we do not speak of written Manx) are much more accurate at writing down pronunciation than English is. In English, if you were explaining you’d been in a well known department store, you’d say you were "im BHS", not "in BHS", and probably never know it. Similarly, if you say "in a poorhouse", you probably say something like "in a boorhouse", though the distinction is smaller.

It’s not explained like that to beginners because it doesn’t really help learn the rules around how and when it’s applied because there are other moving parts to it as well. But Lisa’s completely right, it’s the article ("the/na") that causes the effect on the following word(s).

Posted by .

Wow
Port na Bpucai is a Monster !

‘Jig of the living dead looked like a jig on the sheet music (to my limited knowledge) but did not sound like a jig at all! Is that software playing it? It doesn’t seem to compute..

Thanks for your comment Michelle. I hope other people are not experiencing the same problem. It plays fine on my iPad but maybe someone on here more tech savvy than I am could help.

I’ve listened to it a few times now and it does seem unjiglike but I think it might be because it is such a modern piece. The time signature is right but it seems full of intricate phrases, very melodic and will deffo be challenging —at least for me it will

"Jig of the Living Dead" doesn’t sound like a jig because the computer generated recording is too slow and has no "grouping" to the notes. All of the notes in a jig shouldn’t be played the same. The sheet music is also incorrect: the B flats should be A sharps.

Here’s a bunch, based on feeling more than name (mostly minor and dorion tunes).

Jigs:
The Crabs In The Skillet, The Black Cat, The Cat In The Hopper, Price Of My Pig (tune #2680), Theoretical Chemistry, The Comfy Crane, Always Able, Lady Elizabeth Cole’s, April Storm, The Sailor’s Wife, Tumbledown, The White Petticoat, The Gremlin, Gibbous Moon, The Old House, Ronnie Power’s #1, Dancin’ Dick, The Zakynthos, The Mad Alchemist, Bruce’s First Mistake, The Wolfshead, Get Your Cap Off The Stage, March Of The Fairie Army, Herman The German, The Hop Break, and, Up In The Rafters.

Polkas/Slow Reels/Reels:
The Gortnatubrid, Craic With Jack, P&O, Mimi & The New Generation #1, The Oriental Polka, I’ll Buy Boots For Maggie, The Boa Constrictor, The Boys In The Bunker, Hanka’s, The Bear Dance, several An Dros, The Latvian’s March, Bennett, The Morpeth Lasses, Evil Suggestion, Reel Jacqueline, and, Hommage à Pigeon.

Sent a few more by PM which might be a bit further removed from the Halloween sound.