Peggy Seeger via Paddy Tunney - Mountain Streams Where the Moorcocks Crow

Peggy Seeger via Paddy Tunney - Mountain Streams Where the Moorcocks Crow

Shot in the dark here. Years ago I can swear that I owned a recording of Peggy Seeger singing unaccompanied "Mountain Streams Where The Moorcocks Crow," with the same lyric and inflections as Paddy Tunney. Brigid Tunney also sang it. Silly Wizard and Bert Jansch both recorded it in their respective styles, quite different but good.

Does such a thing as a Seeger recording of this exist? I cant find mine and I’m not having any luck with Google.

Ring any bells?

Thanks.

Re: Peggy Seeger via Paddy Tunney - Mountain Streams Where the Moorcocks Crow

It’s Dolores Keane with De Danann, not Peggy Seeger or Jeannie Robertson, and I still own the album. Sweet relief.

Ignore this thread, then. Great song, though!

Carry on.

Ibiblio does not show anything. They have a fairly complete listing of Peggy´s recordings, both as the primary singer, and as the side performer. They show album listings of Peggy with Ewan MacCol, but not individual tracks. Tunney shows two different albums with the ´Moorcocks´. Paddy Tunney was the real deal.

Brigit Delaney is very nice, too. Thank you for checking Ibiblio, I hadnt thought of that. I’m fairly certain it’s the De Danann version that I was thinking of. But I am enjoying listening to everyone else sing it.

Here is Bert Jansch, one of my favorite guitarists. Jansch was with Pentangle but his arrangement here makes me wish Fairport Convention had recorded it similarly with the Liege and Lief lineup. Spooky stuff. Maybe Robert Plant will play it one day.

https://youtu.be/2dKR7f_w9Uw

What a childhood, growing up with her voice in the house!

That should say "Dolores Keane". According to the info on that track and Wikipedia, I work out that she was two months shy of seventeen years old when it was recorded.

thanks ithaca, that’s really interesting - by the time she recorded the same song on the first De Danann album about 5 years later she’d developed a lot more power on those low notes