Contemporary Players (especially fiddlers) from Sliabh Luachra / in the style

Contemporary Players (especially fiddlers) from Sliabh Luachra / in the style

Hello,

I’m looking to listen to some recordings of Sliabh Luachra style of playing (especially fiddlers, but not necessarily limited).

I have a good amount (aka all that I could find) of Padraig O’Keeffe, Denis Murphy, Julia Clifford, Johny O’Leary and Paddy Cronin. Adding onto this would be the more contemporary players of Jackie Daly and Matt Cranitch.

Would anyone have any recommendations of lesser known recordings from the region or style? Maybe some more contemporary or younger players who have recorded? Especially either ones who I can purchase as downloadables or that someone would share with me if out of print / hard to get in the states.

Thanks a million

Re: Contemporary Players (especially fiddlers) from Sliabh Luachra / in the style

If you know Matt Crannitch’s playing you are probably already familiar with Sliabh Notes - North Cregg are also worth checking out and the late Seamus Creagh’s album with Jackie Daly is a classic. Not fiddlers but squeezebox players Brendan, Seamus and Cormac Begley definitely worth a listen.

Re: Contemporary Players (especially fiddlers) from Sliabh Luachra / in the style

@airport

Hm, not that I did post the two CDs you recommend directly above your comment.
Work twice done…

Hey everyone, this is exactly what I was hoping for and really appreciate the help! It’s both reminded me of albums I should revisit (Seamus and Jackie) as well as opened some new musicians!

Forgot to mention Jimmy Doyle and Dan O’ Leary ‘Traditional Music from the Kingdom of Kerry’ on Shanachie, mid 70’s - they bridge the gap between the real old timers like Denis Murphy and the more contemporary approach to Sliabh Luachra music.

That Doyle / O’Leary album is amazing - thanks so much for the recommendation.

Also, you know it’s an authentic Sliabh Luachra when it’s slides and polkas with like one lonely jig hanging out and all the reels shunned! I’m surprised there’s not an air.

I now have a lot more music to listen to which is pretty slammin’. My brain is gonna be shoved with so much Sliabh Luachra music now my heart will explode!

I would suggest Johnny O’Leary’s grandson, Bryan O’Leary’s recording, “Where the Bog Is“. He’s a fiddle player. I briefly got ahold of him about the tunes. A lot of them come from his grandfather’s tune book but he told me he traveled the area and got a bunch of the versions from older players. It was part of his dissertation at UL. He played with his grandfather when he was younger as well and has that experience. He has a serious dedication to the tradition.
The flute player, Colm Guilfoyle, is excellent also and from the area with a similar dedication.
It is an excellent album in the tradition but I also hear modern elements which pop in in a good way to my tastes.

More for the older players, you’ve probably already stumbled across this gem of a site for mp3s and history, but gonna put it here for reference:

https://rushymountain.com/

Have a look further down on the recordings section for some more contemporay players.

And I’ll add this site too for good measure:

https://www.juliaclifford.eu/

Ahem, I suggested the O’Leary / Guilfoyle recording above, but Bryan O’Leary, like his illustrious grandfather, plays button accordion, not fiddle.

Posted by .

Dont think Connie O’Connell has been mentioned yet. Father of Aine who recorded the album Kenny dropped with her husband Francis O’Connor. He has a few cd’s and there was a site with his own tunes on it.

Hasn’t Connie only made a couple of albums? The first was ‘Ceol go Maidin’ with Jimmy Doyle, Séamus Mac Mathúna and Úna Mhic Mhathúna – Ceol go Maidin’, back in the early 1990s for CCÉ.

The second, ‘Ceol Cill na Martra’, was released in 1990 and is listed here. https://thesession.org/recordings/1461.

Back in 1998 he was the subject of an M.A. dissertation. This can be read at https://ulir.ul.ie/bitstream/handle/10344/4142/Randles_1998_Fiddle_.pdf?sequence=5.

Posted by .

A couple/ few same difference, thanks for providing some links. This is the link to the tunes: http://epu.ucc.ie/connieoconnell/

@Tom Mc - Apologies! I saw that as a list of either names or links! Now I see - I am going to look up Niamh Ní Charra!