Does the "90 day free trial of Amazon Music Unlimited." offer include any trad?

Does the "90 day free trial of Amazon Music Unlimited." offer include any trad?

I’m not inclined to sign up for this sort of thing at all being the curmudgeonly sort that I am - but - if Amazon has some good trad tunes available in their "60 million songs ad-free" I might consider it.

Has anyone gone down this rabbit-hole?

Re: Does the "90 day free trial of Amazon Music Unlimited." offer include any trad?

There is plenty of ITM there. Maybe not the real niche stuff but most of the main names have all their albums up. If it’s free for 3 months why not give it a try-nothing to lose. I subscribe to Apple music and find it very good value.
The downside is that the artists get very income from these services and if you want to support an artist you should buy the CD.

Re: Does the "90 day free trial of Amazon Music Unlimited." offer include any trad?

No shortage of trad. I recently bought an Echo Dot and took out Prime membership. I’m currently in the free period of subscriptions to Amazon Music Unlimited and Amazon Prime Video, both of which will cost me £7.99 a month each. Well pleased. I’ve seen an advert for Amazon Music Unlimited HD which costs a bit more but I don’t think I’ll go for that - I listen to my Echo Dot in the kitchen and listen in the car on my phone via Bluetooth. Maybe listen on smart tv or my tablet through headphones. None of these needs HD sound.
I’m a bit of a curmudgeon myself and wondered about taking out 2 subscriptions at £7.99 and then I thought it’s just the price of a couple of bottles of wine and you wouldn’t hesitate to spend that, so go for it!
Hope this helps!
Alex.

"Alexa, can you play us a few tunes?"

"Here’s what I found.. "
🙂

Just curious - does "free" mean you get to listen to it for a while, or can you download it and own it?

Posted by .

Getting Mason Music was one of the best decisions I made :D
There is a lot of trad music on Amazon Music. It happens really rarely that I can’t find at least some recordings of an artist. I don’t know how it compares to Spotify, but I am happy with it.

Spotify has loads but defo rips off artists

I would say that most artists that appear in the other streaming services (Spotify, Apple Music, Pandora, etc) will most likely also appear in Amazon Music Unlimited… My digital album distribution is done with a package deal, where one small fee gets the music on all of the streaming platforms (including YouTube). If I wanted, I could pick and choose which streaming platforms I allow, but the default is "all of them", and I would assume that most artists choose that.

BTW, you can hop on Amazon Music, and without signing in, you can search to see what’s there. I searched a handful of ones that I listen to on Spotify, and they’re all there.

I don’t know much about Amazon Music, and I’m pretty sure I’ve never gotten a dime from them (although, it would be lumped into my little payments that I get every now and then, and so I might have gotten paid and not realized it…). So I don’t know if Amazon Music has an "offline" mode, the way that Spotify does. You can download the music into the Spotify app, so that you can play it without being connected (which is nice when you’re traveling!). But you don’t own the music, and when your subscription expires, you will lose access to that music…

Reverend, I have Amazon downloads in my phone app - Bob Dylan, Leadbelly, Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee, Seasick Steve, Irish Airs, English Country Dance and more besides. We’ve never had it so good! Didn’t have any of this in the sixties!
Alex.

Lads, I’m asking the question again. Does the Amazon deal pertain to listens only, or can you download and keep the music?

Posted by .

I think its like spotify, you pay for the subscription.
You can also buy & download stuff seperately.
But its trad selection is frankly crap, and the download quality is mp3. I tried it out for a bit.
I buy my music - because i well remember what happened to the free music i had on napster when napster folded. My brother uses spotify for his trad fix. i suppose it depends what you want. I’ll buy the best-quality digital download of something where possible for my mp3 player which is my music-playing device. my brother doesn’t care about quality, and he has a smart-phone maybe?
i don’t like the idea of paying for something you don’t actually own. (have a kindle, but god knows what happens to my books when amazon folds, or stops supporting the interface.)
but i digress..

Ergo, I think you can save to listen offline as long as you are in the trial period. After that if you don’t pay Amazon for a subscription you don’t "own" it so you whatever Amazon allowed you to download won’t be there. My guess is Amazon is in control.But, no, I don’t have firsthand experience.

Posted by .

Thanks, AB.

Posted by .

Coincidentally, there’s an article in today’s print version of ‘The Guardian’ entitled ‘MPs to ask whether streaming services are fair to musicians’. It’s not yet up on line.

Here are some quotes.

1) ‘Music streaming in the UK brings in more than £1bn a year in revenue. "However, artists can be paid as little as 13% of the income generated," a DCMS committee statement said.

2) ‘Spotify is thought to pay between £0.002 and £0.0038 per stream. Apple Music pays about £0.0059.’

3) ‘The French streaming service Deezer is the only leading streaming platform pursuing the development of a user-centric payment system (UCPS), ensuring that subscriber revenues directly benefit the artists they listen to.’

DCMS is the Parliamentary Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Committee.

There’s more on the Deezer scheme here - https://www.deezer.com/ucps.

I have no idea how extensive Deezer’s coverage of ITM may be.

Posted by .

Yeah, I struggled with whether to use spotify or other services or not, because the artist gets very little of it. And it’s not even as straightforward as that. The way I understand it, the bulk of the revenue coming in has a portion that is set aside for the artists, but they don’t necessarily pay you by stream, it just averages out to the money GW notes there. If I understand it correctly, it prorates the money based on what percentage of the total streaming they did was dedicated to you. So in the trad end of the spectrum, people will listen to a nice mix of stuff, but in the pop world, the latest Taylor Swift single is probably generating a significant portion of the total streaming that is happening over the course of a day. So it may be the same people listening to the same track over and over again, which really ought to be compensated differently. (The services could prorate the money better by splitting the money based on how many individual people listened to your music in a certain time period, not based on how many individual streams there were…) But for my music, the primary goal is not to make money. I think in general, trad musicians make more money performing than selling recordings. So having a recording is more like having a business card for getting gigs. And then I end up selling more CDs at gigs than I do online…

@TheHappyCamper "i don’t like the idea of paying for something you don’t actually own…" I like to think of it more like electricity. I don’t "own" the electricity I pay for, but I pay for it because I use it as a service. I think about spotify the same way. And the fact that you can "download" files is like using a battery to store the electricity. I have it stored in my device, but I still don’t "own" it. And if I stop paying for it, the downloaded file will disappear. In some ways, streaming services are better than owning the CDs, because it’s easier, and you have more variety and the ability to discover great new music. But I find that if I really really love some music, I will go out and buy it so that I do own the copy.

The streaming services pay the musicians a grotesquely small amount. Please buy the CDs direct from the artist if you can, or from shops like Custy’s or Claddagh that support the music - especially at the present time.

It’s worth pointing out that Bandcamp is definitely *not* like Spotify. Technically you can stream music on Bandcamp (if the artist allows it) but it’s very much geared towards you actually buying the music (and the majority of that money going to the musicians).

Some links:

The LA Times
"The anti-Spotify: How online music company Bandcamp became the toast of the COVID age"
https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/music/story/2020-09-22/bandcamp-anti-spotify-streaming

NPR
"A Tale Of Two Ecosystems: On Bandcamp, Spotify And The Wide-Open Future"
https://www.npr.org/2020/08/19/903547253/a-tale-of-two-ecosystems-on-bandcamp-spotify-and-the-wide-open-future

Pitchfork
"This Is How Much More Money Artists Earn From Bandcamp Compared to Streaming Services"
https://pitchfork.com/thepitch/how-much-more-money-artists-earn-from-bandcamp-compared-to-spotify-apple-music-youtube/

Martin Street wrote:
"Please buy the CDs direct from the artist if you can…"

I don’t have a CD player so I’d ammend that as "Please buy the *music* direct from the artist if you can…"

Thanks for the articles, Jeremy. Interesting stuff.

For what it’s worth, my music is on Bandcamp, and I do have it fully available. You can listen to the entirety of both of my CDs on Bandcamp. And even with that, people still buy my music, which I appreciate. I treat the streaming services like that too. I discover music I like, and I have a great playlist which keeps me pretty happy, and it’s nice that it is all packaged into an easy experience. But when something really grabs me, I buy it too, because I like supporting the artists.

My experience is that Amazon and Spotify both pay similar (pitifully small) amounts for streaming. Here are actual examples, both for the same track:

Amazon paid $0.00672012
Spotify paid $0.00618782

So Amazon paid slightly better, but only at the 4th decimal place, and the whole amount comes to 9/10ths of bugger-all. Bear in mind that this payment has to be split between the five members of the band. If we hadn’t produced it ourselves, the record company would also take its share.

If you’re paying a subscription for these services, you might like to think about where the money is going. Here’s a clue: in 2017 Spotify’s Chief Product Officer declared personal earnings of $7.9 million. Other Board members were each paid in excess of $4 million.
https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2017/12/07/spotify-2017-tax-income/

Bandcamp is better for artists, and handles all the difficult thinks like taxes on international sales. Best of all, buy direct from the artist themselves.

Go to spotify, search playlist ‘IRISH TRADITIONAL MUSIC-A MUSICIANS CHOICE’…

Amazon is insidious and unethical in so many ways why would anyone support that business model,it seems people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.