We could do with a bit of humour…………….

Re: We could do with a bit of humour…………….

thanks airport - although Kevin Burke’s fiddle playing is indisputably world class this is the performance I always come back to - strange…………………..

Thanks Airport, I needed a laugh and smile. Not sure I’ve seen or heard any other singing from Kevin Burke. I like the moustache as well. Things are just too serious these days.

“She’s tall and she dark, but she’s not too shady” Sort of an oddball Planxty tune. They sound so good, the three voices together after Donal and Christy stopped laughing.

PatFlat, its worth looking out Andy Irvine’s original version on ‘Sweeney’s Men’ if you can find it

Yep, Sally Brown was inherited from Sweeny’s Men. Apparently the laughing was from Christy Moore making a joke about sailors pulling on their capstans …

Hi there Kenny

Great subject, and hearing Donal singing brought back some wonderful memories of Lancashire sessions we had back in the day. Thanks for that alone!
For those not acquainted with Donal, not only has he an amazing repertoire of songs, but he’s a magnificent banjo player.

Back to your subject…
I have searched for, and not found, The Blackbird’s Lament. I heard it and learned it from Bruce Scott, RIP, in Liverpool back in the ’70s. It’s hilarious and really gets an audience or party involved.
Maybe some better skilled operators here at The Session might find a version. Not only do I have not those means, but I would not want to drive people away if I were to sing it myself! 🙂 🙂

Hope all’s going well over there
All the best to everyone
Brian x

First lines if it’s of any help…

Ah, one mornin’ as I did walk towards the town…
NYAAAAH! (Audience joins in)
What should I see but a Blackbird hangin’ upside down…
NYAAAAH
Says I to her “ Pray tell me Blackbird, what is your song?”…
NYAAAAH
“Some dirty no good gentleman Blackbird has done me wrong”…
NYAAAAH

And so it goes on.
I believe it was from the students down in Cork. Bruce had gone over to Ireland with Barry Halpin, RIP, and teamed up with Kevin Conneff and they toured Ireland collecting songs and tunes.
I was privileged to have access to some 6 hours alone of Willie Clancy playing pipes and whistle, just recorded on little 2&1/2" spools.
Oh happy days!

Anyway, hope that’s a help in finding a very clever funny song!

All the best
Brian x

GW Indeed it is! Thank you so much for the link.

The Irish I have for the ‘naughty’ verse is different, but that’s Trad for you isn’t it?

Obviously if you add in the NYAAAAHs after each line it becomes quite hilarious, especially in a group/party situation.

Thank you again

All the best
Brian x

It’s on a 1968 Alex Campbell album. In his introduction he says he that it’s Irish and he learnt it from Archie Fisher.

Not quite the same words, and with “But a damn great enormous brass studded double bed and nothing else at all.” given as “great big enormous double bed and a photograph of Ewan MacColl”

(the track is on youtube)

But I wonder if it that humour is universally acceptable now…

https://youtu.be/Sb98H_1vl10

A. L. Lloyd always seems to sing with a twinkle in his eye.

That’s Ralph Rinzler on the fine mandolin.

There’s probably a book, or at least a chapter, to be written on The Sailor as Trickster in folk tradition.

This is maybe more along the lines of “wry” or “dark” humour.

In view of what’s happening in England this week….. The Colum Sands song.

"The first time I met my love was on a Monday morning, And the second time I saw her was a Tuesday afternoon.
When she kissed me on a Wednesday, I couldn’t wait for Thursday,But I can tell you now, me boys, that Thursday never came"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXkZ_CTKe-g