Maud Muller

Maud Muller

Does anyone know the origin of the tune Maud Miller? Could it be a reference to the poem Maud Muller by John Greenleaf Whittier?

Re: Maud Muller

In which case, it would be called "Maud Muller" wouldn’t it ? There’s a "Maude Miller" in "O’Neill’s 1,001", a traditional tune [ presumably ] when published in 1907.

Posted by .

The origin of the tune and the origin of the title are often two different things.
Anyway, here’s from https://tunearch.org/wiki/Annotation:Maude_Miller_(1)
"The name may be a nod to an actress daughter of the poet Joaquin Miller whose reconciliation with her father was big news in 1899"

Thank you both! My grandfather once heard a story on the radio about a new game that was taking over the country. He thought it sounded so ridiculous he wrote a poem about it, only he misheard the name and called it ‘Miniature Golp’. I thought it might be something like that

I have an even better one than that when an announcement was made on Radio Scotland some years back that "an Aberdeen man had died after getting a "’flu jab". The 2 words which were misheard were "’flu jab". Use your imagination 🙂
[ Ron P. - that was Mich ! ]

Posted by .

//The 2 words which were misheard were "’flu jab". Use your imagination//

You’ve lost me there, Kenny, duh! Spill the beans 🙂

Speaking of mishearing, "Bismillah" in Queens Bohemian Rhapsody was misheard as "Mitch Miller" among other things.

PM sent.

Posted by .

I had to think about that for way too long!

Airport…. Yah have ta be able ta speak Scootish.

Posted by .

ok I too had to spend way too long thinking on this - seems to me the words most likely to be mistaken for ‘flu jab’ if spoken in broad Scots wouldnae be spoken on National radio, in Scotland or England - plus I never heard anyone dying from it!

Not a lot of "broad Scots" spoken on BBC Radio Scotland, even today. It was more down to poor radio reception.

Posted by .

I believe you used to be able to purchase Aberdeen "flu jabs" privately down by The Castlegate.
🙂