a Ballydesmond Polka?

a Ballydesmond Polka?

I’m trying to remember one of the Ballydesmonds but not sure what number it is - not the one in A dorian that everyone plays [starts cBABAG] I think this one starts in D maj then shifts into E dor. Any ideas folks?

Re: a Ballydesmond Polka?

I’m pretty rubbish at ABC notation but I think you might be thinking of the one we always called Ballydesmond n° 3. It goes something like: EAAB Cde GGGA GEED EAAB Cdef gedB AA; if that fits (and you can follow!) I’ll try to do the rest of it. But it’s not D/Edor, probably Ador.

thanks everyone - but its none of these. Jeff the one you posted was the one I said it was NOT but thanks for trying anyway! I wish I could remember more about it : it definitely started in D major then the 2nd 16 bars modulated into E minor [or dorian] and I’m sure I was told it was one of the Ballydesmond polkas…………………

"It goes something like:

EAAB Cde GGGA GEED
EAAB Cdef gedB AA"

Maurice Manley’s

|:EA AB|cd e2|G2 GA|GE ED|
EA AB|cd ea|ge dB|A2 A2:|

How can it not be it, but have the same notes?

"but thanks for trying anyway!"

OK, my mistake. I’m sorry to say it, but D into Edor isn’t much of a clue, especially without notes.

Wait a second - is it this one? (If so, I learned it as Glenside No. 1.)
https://thesession.org/tunes/531

Thanks Jeff! yes that ‘s it, turns out its Ballydesmond #3 as well Glenside 1 and numerous other titles. It really is such a simple tune I cant imagine how I could have forgotten it.