Timedance, the prelude to riverdance, piano notation.

Timedance, the prelude to riverdance, piano notation.

Hi,
I am looking everywhere trying to find the piano chord progressions for Ballymun Regatta, which is the third section of Bill Whelan / Donal Lunny’s Timedance. Can anybody help?

Re: Timedance, the prelude to riverdance, piano notation.

Blimey, is it really almost forty years ago since that performance?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnPI0qEDO5A

‘Ballymun Regatta’ is at 4:20.

That’s Bill Whelan playing the piano, by the way.

Posted by .

Eddie, do you specifically want to reproduce the piano part as played on the clip GW has provided (which I, for one, would find impossible to identify clearly enough even to notate a rough approximation) or do you just want a suggestion for a chord sequence that fits the melody, which you could use or adapt as a backing?

Posted by .

The tune’s here - https://thesession.org/tunes/3661.

It shouldn’t take too long to work out chords from that and the video.

Posted by .

This is an interesting missing piece in my historical jigsaw. I remember seeing the embryonic Riverdance as a Eurovision interlude in 1994 (I had only recently begun learning to play traditional music) but I didn’t know about its precursor.

After seeing that Timedance clip from ‘81, I think it’s clear now where the guys behind Spinal Tap got the idea for the Stonehenge prop! That movie came out just three years later.

S’funny that the actual tune playing is fab and could’ve been yesterday* but the arrangement and instrumentation of it is terrible dated old hat!!

* albeit dressed in retro 1974 Kensington Market loon pants style and the like

The *general* idea of both this and R-dance is practically given by the Eurovision format: it’s a song contest, so an interval dance that acknowledges the culture of the home country is almost an obvious idea.

The thing about R-dance is that it was done so brilliantly well. It pains me to say that, since Mr F gets up my nose as much as anybody’s, but I am forced to admit that the production was in another league compared to T-dance.

So Bill Whelan had a hand in both, it seems!