Updated ABCTuneSearch.com (finally!)

Updated ABCTuneSearch.com (finally!)

Hi folks,

A number of you have been bugging me about the fact that the original version of my site had the results in Adobe Flash, which has basically been gone from most people’s computers for a while, and hits its official end of life next month.

So I finally got around to rewriting it so it doesn’t require the Flash Player. I have a lot of features planned for it in the coming months, but I thought I would put it out there that it’s usable again!

http://abctunesearch.com

For those of you that haven’t used it before, it can be a handy tool. You can simply jot down the ABC of a few bars of a tune you know, and plug that into the search, along with what kind of tune it is and it will search several tune archives with a "smart search" which works much better than a standard text search… You can also search by name or partial name, which can be handy if you don’t know how to spell something in Irish… 😉

I have some additions coming soon, including an upgraded "contour search", which will search in any key. This is going to be more accurate than the old site for the contour search, but it’s not ready just yet.

Anyway, hope you find it useful!

Re: Updated ABCTuneSearch.com (finally!)

That’s fantastic news Pete. Many thanks for that—your search engine is a great tool and I’ve used it to find names of tunes that were running through my mind, or whole tunes from fragments. Poor ole Flash, though. Sorry to see it go.

I just tried it. I had to select tune type to get any hits, but then it worked.

Thanks Pete, it’s a great tool.

Yeah, one of my potential planned upgrades will allow you to search all tune types, instead of having to select one, but it will be significantly slower and give you results for different kinds of tunes than the one you’re looking for…

As long as I find the one I’m looking for, that’s good enough. 🙂

I also haven’t updated my database in quite a few years, in fact, since before Jeremy gave us data dumps! So I have a lot more data coming, but I’m working on a way to keep it from getting too bogged down by all the data.

It would be nice to be able to also search by time signature rather than just tune type - I’m thinking specifically of marches and other ambiguous tune types, but also there’re many examples of tunes played as both hornpipe and reel without any change to the abcs, such as "The Piper’s Despair". Although I did wish with your previous incarnation that one could be more specific in the tune type, the one good thing about it is that each search type was broad enough for those situations.

Posted by .

That’s a good idea Nico! I will put some thought into that as I’m redoing parts of the site. I could maybe do an "advanced search", that would let you drill down in other ways, like time signature.

It’s a great website and search capability that I’ve used many times. One other thought is that maybe "drilling down" isn’t the best approach. It might be better to be able to search all of 2/2, 4/4, 2/4 at once for instance, as in many cases the same tune has been written in all of these.

Similarly, it’d be cool if there was a way to return similar tunes of other types (Green Fields of America and Maid in the Meadow, which are versions of each other), but I guess at that point you’re getting into Tune Graph territory and that could be difficult to implement.

Posted by .