Whistle While You Work

Whistle While You Work

Several months ago I began a thread about listening to tunes during my workday. I had just bought a worksite radio to which I could plug in my digital audio player. But the D.A.P. needs to be small enough to fit in a closed tray on top of the radio while playing in AUX mode. Long story short…I did not have an adequate DAP nor the dough to bake one up.

Fast Forward to this month…I now have (had) the $s for said device & it’s in my hot little hands ready to play tunes for listening during work. I’ll report on the successes first & reveal the challenges as I get to them.

In the original thread I was looking for an mp3 player, specifically an iTouch 5th (or 6th) gen. ipod.
While also inquiring about various other digital players. Due to a recent turn of events I ended up needing to buy a new cellphone, considered a refurbished 5th generation iPhone (or later). Inevitably I went the other direction and bought a refurbished iPhone 4s Model #A1387. That’s right!

Good news is it’s working exactly as I anticipated it might, as Goldilocks would say, "Not too hot, not too cold
but just right. At least in my case. Here’s the lowdown. I only just got it slightly over 24 hrs. ago so
I’m still setting things up. But it’s very easy to get my tunes (mp3s) on the 4S. For now it’s just using
iTunes for transferring my collection from a PC tablet to the phone and setting up a playlist on the iPhone’s default offline media player. So far I’ve only moved one folder & listened to the 17 tunes in that folder but everything is working beautifully. I’m thrilled to finally be able to do this.

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions about the pros & cons; even though it looks like I ignored your sound, sage advice. I didn’t; I appreciate every bit & hope to pick your techie brains even more as I work to refine my D.A.P. worksite possibilities. This is just the beginning. I still need to look for an alternative to the default player on the 4S. Something else might give me a better way to playback my mp3s. On my PC the media player is a Daum Pot Player. There isn’t a version available for the iPhone.

I’ll keep you posted. Until then I’m going to see how many of my tunes this thing will hold and do more homework about this whole new world of tune listening which I now find myself exploring.

Cheers,
AB… ;

Posted by .

Re: Whistle While You Work

Google suggests VLC Media Player for Iphone 4.
I don´t do Apple products, but I do like VLC. Open source freeware.

VLC plays fine on my iPhone 4. To escape iTunes have a look at File Explorer (which will also play mp3)

Some of the local network sharing features in VLC don’t always work (network protocols have moved on). To move mp3 using File Explorer either go via iCloud (or similar) or use Windows file sharing locally if your home setup supports it.

Thanks. I found an app, OPlayer Lite, which is good for audio playback. It also has an A-B repeat feature which I can use for learning tunes. For some reason VLC wasn’t working for me. I removed it for now but might check it out later; see if they have previous versions. Right now I’m making playlists. I wasn’t planning on using iTunes very much but it is working fine on my PC & iPhone. Also using a little iCloud because Dropbox requires iOS 10+. The phone updated to v.9.3.6 yesterday. I started doing playlists in iTunes app and the OPlayer seems to recognize files and playlists wherever I have them. This app works with iOS 9.

Posted by .

I have an old iPhone 4s that I used as my Ireland phone for a long time. I just bought a 3Mobile sim card for it one year when it was still my main phone, but then I used it for many years, and even used it as a mobile hot spot for my iPad when I was in Ireland a few times… Just be forewarned, though. When I wasn’t using it in Ireland, it sat on my desk plugged into the charger. But after a few years of being constantly charged, the battery started to swell, which I understand is an issue with iPhones when they’re primarily living on the charger. So maybe exercise it every now and then by unplugging it and letting it drain the battery a bit.

Also I have just the tee-shirt for your your thread title: https://www.cafepress.com/itmgoodies/5383907 😉